Need a Key, Coils, Tank

Arclight88

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Friends, I have a 1976 XS650C. I need a key for it with code 3167. It does not need to be a 'genuine' Yamaha key, but that would be nice.

Please reply with options. Willing to pay good money for the key. I could use some coils as well. And a tank.

Here are some pictures.
IMG_4751.JPG
IMG_4748.JPG
IMG_4653.JPG

That’s a ‘75 dash but I do see blue on the fork ears. It has external wiring on the bars and a single throttle cable so that’s correct for a ‘76

Think you will find that dash come off an XS500. I see an oil light.

If you have the key for the ignition the patrol cap can b taken apart and tumbled to suit your key I think. 5Twins has a thread on this. There are posts on getting the early style 76-79 standard caps open as well.

Do a search using 5Twins and/or gas caps/keys

https://www.keysinthepost.com
I have used this guy to get a key made and it was cheap and it got here quick with reasonable shipping too
As I recall I filled out the iformation sheet and sent along a few photos of the key and it worked I was amazed
The key I first got made I was in to big of a hurry when I tried it and it didn't seem to want to work so I ordered another one from him saying that the first key didn't work
After taking my time the first key did work so I sent him a reply saying what a dumb ass I was and he just said full price for the second key and half price on shipping
Nice guy!!

That’s a ‘75 dash but I do see blue on the fork ears. It has external wiring on the bars and a single throttle cable so that’s correct for a ‘76
Good eye, my man! I tumbled to that when I was researching drawings on CMSNL. A '76 with a '75 dashboard is not a complete surprise since they often use up end-of-run last previous year parts on this year's production. That, or a PO swapped it, by my money is on the former.

thank you all for the fast, detailed responses. New key is on order. Good news, the motor is not stuck. And has compression, although I do not know the current values. More pictures as the project progresses, but here are few more for the road.

Attachments

• IMG_4596.JPG
    IMG_4596.JPG
    595.7 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_4597.JPG
    IMG_4597.JPG
    546 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_4647.JPG
    IMG_4647.JPG
    514 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4653.JPG
    IMG_4653.JPG
    506 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4656.JPG
    IMG_4656.JPG
    436.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_4751.JPG
    IMG_4751.JPG
    698.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_4754.JPG
    IMG_4754.JPG
    585.7 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4755.JPG
    IMG_4755.JPG
    434.4 KB · Views: 41
Good luck with that old girl. With enough time and effort it can be brought back to whatever you want. A daily rider or a museum piece.
Just make sure your Tetanus shots are up to date.

This thread will help identify your bike and the differences between models
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

probably need this one for your gauges or if you replace those.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/gauge...0-83-gauge-repair-honda-70-71-750-4-ko.52013/

A few variations on tanks. When looking through the ID thread, (above), you can see the differences in the Tanks, have also explained on most models.
Any tank from 74-83 will swap straight onto your bike.

Standard tanks are larger than Special tanks
74-79 Standard tanks are 15liter and have 2 petcocks,

74/75 tanks gas cap are hard to find replacement for and if you do they are very expensive o don't buy a 74/75 tank with a broken or missing gas cap.

76/77 Standard tanks don't have badges and a replacement gas caps can be bought after market. Petcocks are manual

78/79 Standard tank have badges. Petcocks are Vacuum operated. Same gas cap a 76/77

78/79 Special tank have 12.5 liter with 2 Vacuum operated petcocks. Different Gas cap looks similar to 76-79 Standard tank and can be bought aftermarket. All Special tanks have the same gas cap

80-83 Special tank are 12.5 liter, with a single vacuum operated Petcock

Last edited:
Back