Need a little help

charlesincharge09

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
two days ago i changed my oil and rejetted my carbs a bit (getting colder in Wisconsin) rode it to work and it was fine, on the way home i had issues finding neutral.

Now to start out with i have a new clutch, new one piece pushrod set up, new worm gear. So all of my clutch components are new and havent had a problem like this since i replaced all of them... UNTIL NOW! so i decided to pull my clutch apart to inspect and see if for some reason something got inbetween the plates or broken or a bent plate. All was good.

clutch is in adjustment also.

not sure what could be going on. hopefully not a transmission issue :/

What you guys think?

Hi!

What kind of oil did you use? Was it specifically motorcycle oil? Car oils will make wet motorcycle clutches slip and do daft things

How long was the clutch in before you changed the oil etc? Itake it was fine prior to that?

Best regards

Paul

Hi!

What kind of oil did you use? Was it specifically motorcycle oil? Car oils will make wet motorcycle clutches slip and do daft things

How long was the clutch in before you changed the oil etc? Itake it was fine prior to that?

Best regards

Paul

Been running rotella 15 40 with no problems, clutch was put in less than 200 miles ago, it was fine when i riped it apart to inspect everything

two days ago i changed my oil and rejetted my carbs a bit (getting colder in Wisconsin) rode it to work and it was fine, on the way home i had issues finding neutral.

Now to start out with i have a new clutch, new one piece pushrod set up, new worm gear. So all of my clutch components are new and havent had a problem like this since i replaced all of them... UNTIL NOW! so i decided to pull my clutch apart to inspect and see if for some reason something got inbetween the plates or broken or a bent plate. All was good.

clutch is in adjustment also.

not sure what could be going on. hopefully not a transmission issue :/

What you guys think?

When you adjust the clutch down at the side cover, inward to resistance then just back out a very small amount (1/16 turn). Keep the free-play at the lever very small as well. As the engine heats up, the metal push rod and the aluminum case expand different amounts. This causes the lever free play to increase. You can simply re-adjust the free-play as the engine heats up.

If your carbs are set up correctly, there's no reason to rejet when the weather changes.

Why are you trying to find neutral when riding home? If you are stopping for gas or food etc. just turn off the engine and then select neutral. When you stop at a intersection, keep the bike in gear and hold the clutch lever in. Its a good safety habit to keep the bike in gear while stopped, as you may need to move quickly to avoid a collision.

This "hard to find neutral" is a common 650 problem. Welcome to the club. Mine has always been that way and I've tried just about everything.

Back