Need A Rotor Puller

bdholsin

XS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Turns out my rotor is bad. Need to get it off the bike to see if I can get it rewound. I ordered one from mikesxs on Monday and still have not received confirmation that my order has shipped nor have I received the order.

Anyone close to me (mid-Michigan, near Midland) have a rotor puller I could borrow for a bit? Otherwise I'm at the "hurry up and wait" phase.

bdholsin,

If you order a rewound rotor from Gary at:

Custom Rewind
2014 Pratt Hwy.
Birmingham, AL

800 798 7282

He usually has a loaner available that he ships with the rotor and you return with your core. Call and check it out. Talk to Gary.

My current plan is to try and keep cost down. There is a local shop around here that rewinds stuff. I'm going to give them a try. Worst case scenario is I have to buy a new/rebuilt rotor.

Got notification shortly after I posted this thread that my order shipped. We'll see how the rotor comes out when it gets here.

Almost all vintage jap bikes I work on the rear axle bolt is the same as the rotor threads. Work it loose side to side. Don't tap it hard or you will knock the magatism out of the rotor, and I am serious about that.

Yeah, I glanced back at the rear axle and visually compared it to the rotor bolt...that ain't gonna happen. Rear axle is waaaay larger than what I need.

The rotor puller is on the way. Should be here on Wednesday. Anyone ever used one of these things? Just curious if there is a "trick" to using it correctly.

Yeah, I glanced back at the rear axle and visually compared it to the rotor bolt...that ain't gonna happen. Rear axle is waaaay larger than what I need.

The rotor puller is on the way. Should be here on Wednesday. Anyone ever used one of these things? Just curious if there is a "trick" to using it correctly.

Nothing to it. Thread it on and turn the bolt. Easy as pie.

You do not want to use the threads to loosen the taper. Thread it in until it stops and then tap the puller with a hammer if it does not come off thread a bit deeper and smack again. This method may save your threads. Tony C

Thanks guys. I was figuring the procedure would be evident when the tool arrived but just wanted to get some suggestions before then. Much appreciated.

Back