Need Help Asap bike wont go above 2500 rpm

Usmc650

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 TCI xs 650 special. Okay here's whats going on. I bought the bike about a month ago and every day its something new breaking with the bike. The alternator rotor went out it was only putting out 1.3 ohms so i replaced it. then the bike ran great with no problems then i started noticing at full throttle it would lose some power. then out of nowhere it wouldn't go about 2500 rpm. it just sputtered and back fired really loud. I unplugged the Regulator rectifier and it stopped and ran just fine minus not charging so i thought that was the problem. so i just hooked up the new rectifier i got from mikesxs and it still does the same thing plugged in. I have no idea what do do next please help.

Last edited:
could be the tci pickup gone bad or the magnet on the rotor isn't strong enough. i'd first try epoxying a radioshack rare earth magnet to your rotor on top of the old magnet. i'm sure someone will post a picture...

Well that might mean that the old one was not the charging problem so pull that cover behind the shifter and check the brushes and rotor.

Back