need help - electrical rotor thowing sparks?

b6hilto

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I am somewhat new to the page, i have been search but have found no definitive answers yet. I have a 1981 yamaha xs65- special H. Last year had charing issues, over the winter i ve been working on it occasionally.

So far i have replaced the battery and fully charged it before installing. I have replaced the rotor, brushes,fuse box ,and reg/rec. When put it all together today when i tried to start it sparks were flying from the rotor stator area. I have never started the bike without the shroud before -is this normal? What can i do to fix it if it isnt normal. It was also starting hard, the starter was working fine and rotating the cylinders quickly, just didn't want to start. Could the two be related?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bryan:confused:

It is easy to get the stator cocked when installing, it will then hit the rotor. the ignition pick ups are on the stator so the misalignment might cause no spark also. Also Yamaha used several different length screws on the brush and cable bracket mounts a long screw in the wrong place will stick through and hit the slip ring on the rotor causing mayhem.

thank you, i will take off the screws and make sure they are correct location and then will also make sure the stator is not torqued.

Bryan

There is an alignment pin craftily hidden on the bottom side. You can get the bolts in even if the pin isn't in the slot and that will cock the stator.

stator 007.jpg

I guarantee Gary is right about the screws. I just fried a new rotor last week by mixing up the screws. Pull the stator and look inside it. You will see 2 burnt screws if that's the problem.

It is easy to get the stator cocked when installing it, will then hit the rotor. the ignition pick ups are on the stator so the misalignment might cause no spark also. Also Yamaha used several different length screws on the brush and cable bracket mounts a long screw in the wrong place will stick through and hit the slip ring on the rotor causing mayhem.

Gary was correct about the alignment pin. Got that aligned and no sparks any longer and starts like a champ. Thank you for everyones help on this.

Bryan

Back