Need help getting started on 650 project

Scotty T

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
O.K. So I got this 83 650 from my brother in law months ago. When I got it, it was suppose to be for transportation. He told me it just needed the battery charged and the carbs adjusted. Ha! So I am completely ignorant to motorcycles, but I have never backed down from anything. I would love to do a chopper or maybe even bobber out of this. My first question is how hard or is it even possible to stretch and rake it with the shaft drive? Is there a benefit to shaft over chain? Or is it possible to convert to chain? I think I would prefer to convert to chain if possible. I know my way around mechanics and a fab shop, but I could use some direction if anyone has time oin their hands to guide an idiot through some of the steps. Thank you all who read this. If nothing else I am so stoked I found this site. I have been looking for exactly what I have found here tonight. I love the inspiration I have just looking at the other projects and posts. Good luck to all and good riding. I appreciate any input and feeback.

Yep, not an xs. Maybe just stick to the transportation option? You can still rake the neck, shorter shocks, Single seat it if you really want a bobber look? Chuck up pics, we'll tell u what it is.

Scotty, ALWAYS get it running and ride it before you start to customize. Good luck and good bye.

Thank you all for the input. I will most def get it running first. I want to ride it a bit to see how the ride feels and let that direct which way I go. So yes it is an xj650. My apologies. :doh:

Back