need help id ing a part. figuring out wiring and which way to go

yeahyo

XS650 Member
Reaction score
built a few hondas before but new to the xs650. just wondering if i could get sone help. not sure whate part this is and do i need it. probally gona make a simplified harness if i can. its an '84
IMG_0940.jpg

Last edited:
built a few hondas before but new to the xs650. just wondering if i could get sone help. not sure whate part this is and do i need it. probally gona make a simplified harness if i can. its an '84

Hi yeahyo and welcome,
that's the safety relay. The 2 tin humps each have a relay inside. When the alternator starts charging one of them opens to stop you running the starter and the other one closes to turn the headlight on.
And yes you need it.
Good luck simplifying the harness, the XS650 insists on having every mystery module it's got in order to run nice. Thick as a donkey's dick, that main harness, eh?
And my BSA single copes with 8 wires! (OK, 11 if you want signals)

Yes, check the simplified wiring diagrams in tech. If you are leaving "stockville" toss that choss.

DSC00007.jpg

if i get rid of the starter is it an option to eliminate it? thanks for the help
>
Hi yeahyo,
what Gary sez.
Note that the module's other function is to turn the headlight on.
With the relay gone the headlight will turn on with the ignition unless you add an on/off switch.
Also note that pulling the XS650 starter motor leaves a big hole for the oil to fall out of.
MikesXS sells (or used to sell) a fancy plug to cork up the hole.

cool thanks. probally ditch it. the wiring is a mess from someone before me so might tear it all out

heres what im dealing with. haha

IMG_0942.jpg

any one wired up a later model? mines an 84. if so what diagram did you use?

just need to figure out the wiring on the ignition and i think i should have all the info i need to get a good start on it. there is three wires off the black oval shape(i think this is the vignition. lol) black orange and grey. once i figure this out i should be well on my way
IMG_0943.jpg

This one seems popular

xs650.jpg

pick up coil is on the bottom right

black = black and white
orange - red white
gray = green white

pickup wires (418x575).jpg

pick up pickup pick ups wire color colors TCI wiring
picture gggGary

Attachments

• pickup wires (418x575).jpg
    pickup wires (418x575).jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 535
is the ignitor unit a black rectangle box located by the coil? ive noticed a few of the simplified diagrams dont have it in them

Thanks. Just had to stand back and take a look.got a good start on it last night. Not to bad once you look at it

Back