Need help new to yamaha

Rssuby2001

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm new to yamahas, I just got a free bike and I have just got a hint that it's a xs650, so I could use some help to identify this bike, it has disk brakes, twin carb, twin cylinder, and some sort of fiberglass rear section

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    240.4 KB · Views: 177
Yup sure is an XS650. The mag wheels point to an 80's "Special" type XS. However the shock angle leans more towards an earlier "standard" style. The rear tail fiberglass stuff is all custom. Stock tank though. Looks like it MAY have a pamco judging by the yellow plug wires....that'd be nice. Pipes are obviously custom. Headlight's custom. You take that ugly rear end junk off and you've got yourself a nice foundation for a custom build! :thumbsup:

Yes, it's an XS650, no doubt someone's "wet dream" that never came, lol. The question now is what will you do. Continue it's road to ruination or save it?

Cool thanks, do you know where I can check by vin, not the new style, I have built 2 older Kawasaki's so this is new to me, any recommendations with the motor or frame as in weak points?

If the motor is good getting it back on the road, I like clean simple bikes so a lot is coming off, oh and it's a single disk in the front if that helps to Figure out the model

Click on the tab in the toolbar above for 'tech'. Scroll down towards the bottom of the new page and find a link for identifying your xs by vin numbers. Good luck, the bike appears to be bits a this and that. Find out what the bike is and let us know.
Welcome aboard!

Basically, a VIN number is only going to identify the frame. Parts interchange so readily on these bikes that the rest could be from any year.

The Porsche I think is a 74? It's a gulf blue carrera turned into a IROC car, one of my favorites in the shop and yes I have no title for the bike

So I got my frame number today starts with 477, so if I go by what's in the tech info that leaves me a tx650a or a xs-b. is the only way to tell from here the motor number? If so where is the number on the block?

So here is an update, after some 2 stroke oil in the cylinders, spun the motor with the starter, had spark and it is a duel point system this original I guess? Got the carbs cleaned and working a few quicks later and fired right up, one problem is the harness in the left side of the battery box got hot, looks like a voltage reg? Would say it looks an ignition box but it has points, anyway if some could point out what it is, finned aluminum box...... It's hot so gota check that out, guess I need a manual now....... Oh also if a post a pic of the carbs can someone tell me if they are stock, they are CV type and a lever for the choke that works external plungers

Yes, the carbs sound stock but the big question is, stock from what year? They changed a bit (sometimes a lot) about every two years. To track down the correct replacement parts and to properly re-jet them, you have to know the carb set year. So yes, post some pics of the carbs and we can probably I.D. them.

Yes, dual points were stock up through 1979. The finned aluminum box could be a combo regulator/rectifier, used from '80 on. The problem is, it doesn't reto-fit to a '79 or older motor without doing some changes in how the brushes are wired. If you just slap one on, it will appear to work but will overcharge. Eventually, that can fry the entire charging system. A local new guy near me got 640 miles before he fried his, lol. I told him that set-up wasn't right but he just wanted to ride ..... now a near free to $30 fix will cost him as much as several hundred. They say that ignorance is bliss but I'm not seeing it here, lol.

That might be why it got hot or maybe I have a bad ground, bike has been sitting outdoors slightly covered, yea I saw no marks on the carbs, I had to stop tonight kids woke up from ther nap, fun working an hour or 2 at a time, will get the motor number tomorrow, this bike has had a lot changed and chopped so it could have the wrong box in it, I'm going at this blind with no book, it's a fun challange

so today i went out to see whats going on with the charging system, seems like it was a problem with the previous owner, i looked at the number on my block near my front motor mount and it matches my VIN on the frame 447-123137 so from my new pics i put up i think i have the wrong parts for the charging system? Sorry if this is painful for people who know these bikes inside and out, I am a mechanic for cars by day for 15 years but if you dont know the product especially if they change it every 2 years it can be a challenge, especially if someone screwed it up before you, thanks for the help so far and i also posted a pic of my little helper.

Attachments

• xs6503.jpg
    xs6503.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 104
  • xs6502.jpg
    xs6502.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 114
  • xs6501.jpg
    xs6501.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 98
Back