Need help new to yamaha

Yes, that appears to be the later combo reg/rec. To use it on your older motor, you need to unground one of the brushes on the alternator by changing the mounting screws to plastic or nylon. Take a look at your brushes to see if that has been done. By the looks of that melted connector in your second pic, I'm thinking it hasn't. I'm not 100% up on the "fix" because I never did it but if you search "brush mount plastic screws", you should find the info you need. It has been covered here.

Your right both are still hooked up, I started reading the thread on building a replacement, I want to get a handle on all of this before I decide to dive in and refinish everything, if be pissed to find this out after I had re finished the bike and find that I'm letting the smoke out of the wires, thanks again for your help

Last edited:
Try perusing this site. An XS650B would be a '75. A TX650A would be a '74. A TX650 would be a '73. There's no such thing as a '73-'74, it would be either or.

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/parts.html

Yes, you can build a replacement rectifier for about $12 and use an automotive VR115 regulator (about $20). That will make things like stock again and the brushes can remain the way they were originally. That's what I suggested we do to that new local guy's bike but, as I said, he just wanted to ride.

We have done it now, but it took him frying his charging system and missing nearly a month of riding this summer before he would agree to the fix. When I first starting helping him at the beginning of the season, he talked about fixing the bike all up. To date, he's done nothing but ride it and fix what breaks. I've concluded he's mostly "talk" and not much "do". It was like pulling teeth to get him to spend $40 at Mike's, lol. His bike looks pretty bad now, much worse than when he started riding it several months back. It's literally covered with oil, pretty much as much on the outside as on the inside, lol. Yet, when you swing the sidestand down, it's hard to deploy and squeaks - what's wrong with this picture?

Someone needs to rescue that bike, this project came out of nowhere for me I was in the middle of building a 82 gpzr1, at at the point where I have a grand of motor work to do so this is a nice change of pace, I hope to get this wiring sorted then take the bike down to the frame and paint it back to black clean the motor duel disk up front, might try to make wire wheels? If I do I'm not sure what hubs I would need? The bike has a aftermarket 2 into one with an ugly youshimera slipon, that's getting tossed. I'd like to use I guess a cafe style seat and move the battery up into the fender area, lots to do an plan, and I appreciate the help with this, guess I had screwed up when I looked at the frame info but least I know what year to start with the carbs, do u know when the went from wire wheel to mags?

This is my first bike I did, I know it's not a yamaha, 82 kz750

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 96
Very nice. Mags first came along in '78 but they were only put on the Special. The Standard model still got spokes. The Standard model was discontinued after '79 but the spoke wheels soldiered on, but on the budget Special II model. Eventually, the mags and Special II were dropped and the only 650 model left came with spokes.There's much more to the story like Heritage wheels (more spokes) and 16" rears on all the Specials. Do some searching and reading, you'll learn all about the wheel history.

If you want other than stock rims yes, butubs are usually selling for about as much as complete wheels (shipping is less) AND you can't tell if the wheel had been wrapped around a tree.

I like the flanged alloy rims that came on the Standards from about '75. I also prefer an 18" rear over a 16". The rear drum hubs were all the same so if you get one, you can put a 16" or 18" rim on it. The front spoke hubs from '73 on were all the same and used 19" rims. Some had chrome steel, some alloy. MikesXS sells rims (spokes too) if you just find hubs.

I try to get complete alloy rimmed wheels. They're usually a bit corroded but you can polish them back up. Yes, it's a lot of work but I like the results. Here's a '77 rear and one from a TX750 (direct swap onto the 650) .....

650-750WheelsCompared.jpg

..... and a TX750 front, also a direct swap .....

NewDisc.jpg

Yea I like that front disk, I have seen people running a 18 front so it can be wider, that seem right, also they said it would turn in quicker but I would think that would not be as stable if u think how caster affects a car on the track the easier it turns in u loose straight line stability

I guess an 18" front is a popular mod but I've never had any problems or complaints about the 19's. I've had them on practically every bike I ever owned though, so maybe I just don't know any better, lol.

Yea same here just checking my options I like a nice fat tire in the rim, race like. When you did that brush conversion where did u get plastic screws to isolate the brush pack?

Last edited:
Quick update, nice weekend so I thought I'd get this thing running, left the stator off used a battery from another bike with the battery charger on 2amp took the carbs off freed up the linkage and quickly shot out the jets with carb clean and it kicked right over, the electric start sounds horrible, and the tach is not working but the motor sounds great, I did notice once and a while the points let out a larger spark then it should any ideas?

Back