Need help with a 1975 XS650B ?????

Gordon in nc

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and to XS650's so please bear with me here. I picked up a ratty/non running 1975 XS650B a few days ago and I'm trying to get it sorted enough to get it back on the road. I've been doing my homework and have answered a few questions on my own with the help of this site but I still have a BUNCH of questions and hope you guys and gals might be willing to help a fellow out???

I'll only ask after I don't find the answer using the search function......(which doesn't mean it's not here on the site...I just haven't found it yet.)

Here's the first round......

1. The small light bulbs in the tach and speedo......they look like they just "pull" out but I don't want to tear anything ELSE up (there's enough of that already). I tried gently pulling....then twisted a bit....but they're still in there and I need to know the correct way before I apply more pressure.

2. The battery ground. Where on the frame/engine/harness does it attach? On my other builds I always use a single point ground for all the grounds....but the DPO had some jury rigged mess that I know couldn't be right.

3. The side stand spring. What does the bike side of the spring attach to? This bike doesn't have a lot of miles on it.....but the ones it has must have been rough ones. I'm thinking the "tab" (for lack of a better term) was broken off at some point in time and the DPO's fix was a combo of a hose clamp, D ring, and a hardware store spring.

Okay that's it for today's lame questions.......thank you in advance for any wisdom you might be willing to share.

Gordon in NC

1975 XS650B

and a few BSA unit singles

About all I can help with is the sidestand question. Here's a thread with some info .....

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30945

Yes, there was a peg or post on the frame at one time for the top of the spring to attach to. Yours has probably broken off. Although the '76 stand is listed as a one year only part, it seems it may have come on some of the '75s as well. Take a look at where your spring attaches. If near the bottom it would be a '76 style, midway up would be a '74-'75 style. The '76 type obviously uses a longer spring.

5twins,

Thank you for taking the time to reply. Looking through the thread you linked my stand is a 76C (on a 75B). Lord only knows how/why that got on there. But it doesn't surprise me. I have to get the bike on the work stand so I can get a closer look.

In the fiirst couple of replies on the thread you linked.......there's a photo (posted by another member) that shows a stand that has the spring attached to a pin attached to the stand's bolt. What would that be off of?

Brassneck...I'll give that a try, I tried both of those but not together. Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

Take care, Gordon in NC

Battery earth/ground to the frame is here. To the right of the Reserve lighting unit, (grey),
full

Same on all XS650's from 74 up.

The lights pull out of the case, The rubber has dried out so a bit of lube will help, if you pull them dry the rubber will brake

Attachments

• Photo116.jpg
    Photo116.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 121
  • Photo117.jpg
    Photo117.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 116
That photo in the other thread that shows the spring attached to a bolt-on pin is of the '77 and later stand. It has a totally different pivot design, rotating on a large round peg welded to the frame. The older stands like yours use a clevis style mount. Welding a new spring post on is probably the best way to fix yours. Near the bottom of that other post are some nice pics from YL76. If you P.M. him, maybe he's got some of the post and its location/orientation on the frame.

650Skull.....PERFECT!!!!!! Thanks mate, that's just what I needed. I had a feeling the rubber pulled out but didn't want to pull to hard not knowing.....been there to many times.
I made up a new ground/earth cable.....the one I took off goes on the "wall of shame" no wonder some folks just can't seem to keep a vintage bike on the road.

5twins, thank you for setting me straight on that. I found plenty of photo's of the different stands....but couldn't tell what that type of stand went with. I love learning new stuff.....thank you.

Good news is.....I got off work a little early and put the bike up on the work stand/bench and there is enough of the old spring post left that I think it will work. Just couldn't see it while lying on the floor. Not sure what the hose clamp and D ring deal was...but it's another "wall of shame" item. Here's a puzzler.............the end of the spring post is ground off at an angle....like I said there's enough of the groove in it, it should still work, if not I'll build it up a bit but...how in the world would you grind that post down???? Ride along a curb? Laying the bike down won't do it. Strange world heh?

Thanks again for the help fellows........Gordon in NC

Back