need help with points/PAMCO ignition

ChopsCA

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I bought an XS in pieces with a hardtail frame, and another 81 xs for parts, and i've been putting the hardtail back together and need some help with ignition.

Currently the bike has points igniton. I have the points in the engine, the condensor on top, and a 14-0901 PAMCO kit with a coil, hall effect plate thingy, and a regulator rectifier in the box, plus some spark plug caps. My question is, is this everything i need to convert this bike over to PAMCO ignition? I've also got a '81 parts bike with factory electronic ignition. (nothing in the left side points cover on the top of the engine)

pretty new to ignition and wiring, so what would be the easier way to get this bike running? i've got the motor in the frame, and i'll be trying to get it running soon. looking for advice on whats going to be the easiest. Any help is much appreciated. I searched the forums already, but couldn't really get a ' ignition for dummies' thread.

Sounds like you are almost there.
Use the advance and advance rod that are currently in the engine with points, but replace the points with the Pamco. Power to the Pamco and Coil and your almost there. You can run that Pamco off a battery. The rest is a matter of getting your charging system sorted out. Check out the simple wire diagrams on this site, like http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

Sounds like you are almost there.
Use the advance and advance rod that are currently in the engine with points, but replace the points with the Pamco. Power to the Pamco and Coil and your almost there. You can run that Pamco off a battery. The rest is a matter of getting your charging system sorted out. Check out the simple wire diagrams on this site, like http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=61

thanks! these diagrams will come in handy. is it better off to rewire the whole bike, or use the factory harness? i saw that tc bros sells some harness's on their website

Back