need help with signals brake light and fuses 79 not real special

dedede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
First of all many thanks to all that helped with my build from reading your posts I have learned to much to list. Normally I find my answers in the forum. My electrical knowledge is poor when trouble shooting, I can crimp, solder read a meter and so on. Heres the deal with a dead battery and 2 amp charger hooked up left signal comes on but will not flash, right signal on there is a bussing from the whatumacallet and no light. when reading voltage from the stop light it always has 12 volts. Headlight does not come on (I read that engine needs to be running for it to work). I also want to change fuses I changed to the one in pics (I can't post pics lke 5 twins I dont really know computers that well) but want to go to a newer style and need sources. Any help would be welcome as I want to hear this bitch run and start my side car project.
Both brake light swicthes new fom mikes.
Thanks in advance dedede

Carbs going to oldskool soon I hope

Attachments

• DSC_0212.jpg
    DSC_0212.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0216.jpg
    DSC_0216.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC_0217.jpg
    DSC_0217.jpg
    142.9 KB · Views: 48
  • DSC_0220.jpg
    DSC_0220.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 52
Is your battery just dead, or bad. If it's just dead let it charge up fully and then try your lights. 2 amps may not be enough.

first thing I would do is change the signal relay. its cheap and easy to test.
Next check the earth for the signal relay.
Next I'd check all the bulbs for correct voltage and watt spec and clean the bulb holders . I believe the signal lamps have a single live feed wire and are earthed through their bodies so worth checking the earth to the signal lamp bodies unless they have a seperate earth wire.

The turn saignals draw more than the headlight. Two 27 watt turns and a 3 watt indicater. 27 x 2 + 3 = 57 watts. The high beam in the headlight is only 50 watts.
So yes battery voltage is very important.
Also even with a fully charged battery the turns may not flash, or not flash well unless the engine is running and above 2000 rpms.
The stock whatumacallit, better known as a turn signal flasher, needs to have the two 27 watt bulbs and the 3 watt bulbs. Anything else and the flasher won't gdet the load it needs to flash. Most replace it with a two prong flasher from the parts store that isn't load sensitive. Just plug it into the socket the stock flasher plugs into, using the brow and brown white wires, The third wire goes to the self canceler, just ignore it and remove the canceler.
If your battery won't charge up using a 2 amp charger, replace the battery.
Leo

Thanks guys for all the help, Leo you are the man, my son who just got out of the Marines cal tech HMX presidential support always has good to say about your posts.
I failed to mention that the signals were not factory. Turns out the black wire was not ground but the black with white stripe was had me all fucked up. Also the stop light switch was not ajusted correctly it is now working. New battery and flasher helped thanks. Now I need to work on fuse block. Much thanks to all who read and post here. I can't trouble shoot much but if you guys ever need anything in my area welder, heated shop, trailer, pickup truck, parts, place to stay, maybe even a little cash I'm here for ya.:thumbsup:
DEDEDE

Back