Need input on wiring and heat?

mjamusic

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've buttoned up the last of my wiring and now I'm trying to mount my seat...my question is will it be ok to put some foam underneath the seat and between the wiring or should I be worried about heat? I am planning on drilling several holes in the aluminum to help with dissipation. This is my first ever wiring job too, so any comments on that would be greatly appreciated. See pics

Attachments

• IMG_0106.jpg
    IMG_0106.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 173
Can't see anything in your electrical components that would generate heat. Where is the reg/rec located?
It would be a good idea to make sure that the seat base does not rest on/rub any of the wiring though. If you have sufficient clearance between the seat base and the wiring, I would probably just use foam strip around the periphery to keep the crap out, and none resting on the wiring that might disturb the connections while you are bouncing around on the seat.

Are those multiple grounds I see connected to your aluminum seat base plates? If so, aluminum isn't the best for grounding. Better to run them directly to the steel frame. Also, it appears those aluminum plates are rubber mounted? If so then they won't do for grounds at all.

It just seems like a very bad idea to have all that wiring/connections under your seat. If your seat, and your added body weight, is going to push down on the wiring, you may do damage to the wiring and connections. Is your seat fully supported, so it does not bear down on the wiring/connections?

On a stock bike the seat is supported on the bikes frame. The stock wiring/connections are tied to the side of the frame so that no weight or abrasion is ever put onto the wiring.

I am going to have the aluminum plates welded to the frame, will that help with the grounds? Also, I'm still looking for a good solution to support the seat and not have it touch any of the wiring...any suggestions? I've never done any of this so I am trying to follow mainly what I have seen others do on here. Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to have the aluminum plates welded to the frame, will that help with the grounds? Also, I'm still looking for a good solution to support the seat and not have it touch any of the wiring...any suggestions? I've never done any of this so I am trying to follow mainly what I have seen others do on here. Thanks for the feedback.

I'm not sure how you would weld aluminium plate to steel tubes, but you won't need to really. If the aluminium plate is being used as an earth path, then you could just connect it with an earth strap to the chassis.
How about relocating both plates to beneath the chassis rails, with the wiring uppermost. This would effectively place the wiring between the rails, where it would be better protected. Then you could use the chassis rails to take the load of the seat. If this makes the battery too low, then you could raise the battery box alone, and cover it with a seat hump. I just can't see it working well as it stands.

Not sure what your seat is like.. but I put all my wires / electrics in the cowl clearance behind my support bracket so there will never be any weight / stress on them. The fusebox, reg/rect and other wires run under the seat pan. The high density foam strips mark where my cowl started to curve. Not pictured is an angled bracket above the battery between those two ears that acts as a battery brace / seat mount for the back weight on the cowl. Measuringing that angle to be flush with the seat while it's on was the hardest part:

MlDKuqZ.jpg

9QmPvCA.jpg

REEnmum.jpg

So I have moved the aluminum plates so that they are mounted beneath the frame rails and I have also fixed my grounds so that they ground directly to the frame. I can't thank you guys enough for the input and I will be creating a build thread very soon! My current endeavor is wiring my acewell 2853 digital speedo/tach...anyone out there done one?

Run a single ground that is connected to battery ground and then run a ground from every component to this one spot.

Last edited:
Back