Need mechanic in south missouri.

bajabryon

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Does anyone work on 1980 650xs near missouri. I am at my wits end and dont have the knowledge to figure out the issue. 1980 650 special. It will start but when you give it throttle is stutters and backfires. It has auto timing. We replaced the stator, rectifier, cleaned and replaced the jets in the carb and no change. Sometimes it runs at 70% but if you turn it off it goes back to run like crap.

Both cylinders ?
Typical symptoms of a shorted rotor
resulting in weak spark
Please measure charging Voltage across Battery and report here
If its below 13 .2 ish
Please measure slip ring resistance you'll find it here in the forum how it is done

Both cylinders ?
Typical symptoms of a shorted rotor
resulting in weak spark
Please measure charging Voltage across Battery and report here
If its below 13 .2 ish
Please measure slip ring resistance you'll find it here in the forum how it is done
13.4 at 3000 rpm. The rotor passed the test. Is there a way to change the timing? Both cylinders

Does anyone work on 1980 650xs near missouri. I am at my wits end and dont have the knowledge to figure out the issue. 1980 650 special. It will start but when you give it throttle is stutters and backfires. It has auto timing. We replaced the stator, rectifier, cleaned and replaced the jets in the carb and no change. Sometimes it runs at 70% but if you turn it off it goes back to run like crap.
Unfortunately, that symptom often indicates the igniter is failing. Best bet is to substitiute known good one or search/research here for "GONZO''

Back