Need more help

Mcnabb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got my girl started this morning. The idle is way high could this be carbs or timing or both? Carbs are from 650 central also put in a pamco from mikes xs:wtf:

Could be both. Custom carbs, aftermarket ignition - and you don't have a clue - priceless, lol.

With the engine running, carefully spray carb cleaner at the suspected area, If the engine stumbles or revs up you have found the leak.

You need to get the idle down to normal (1100-1200), set the timing, then tackle the carb tuning. You can't accurately set the timing if the idle is too high. It may be starting into the advance curve and it can't be set that way.

before you do anything I'd check for leaks and go over both carbs and make sure they are dialed in static.

If you don't know how to do that, either take it to a shop or learn. You can only adjust when you start out where you should be and correct from there.

Sgallaty the bike has to be running in order for me to do this right?? If so I don't feel to good about it idling like it is (around 3500 to 4000 rpm) for very long.5twins what would be the best way to get the idle down without getting to crazy lol

All things considered, you're not going to hurt it running at 3-4k for a few minutes. Put a fan on it =) A big fan if you feel unlucky.

Well man the way the last two mornings have been lol. I would say luck is nowhere to be seen O I didn't tell ya I'm doing all this at 5am people are getting pissed. Lol

Well played around with the idle screw witch got the idle to come down a little next Im going to check for leaks. Ok now here is the question for the day lol it's got this loud popping and a flame shooting out of the right pipe about 6 inches looks really cool inthe dark lol carbs or timing ??:banghead:

IMO you are going about this the wrong way.

Attack your carbs without reading first, you'll end up with two potmetal paper holders.

I'm workin with the carbs... Was just wondering about the flames out the pipe thing. I'm going to try the carb cleaner thing to check for leaks tomorrow after I check the cables and slides.. I'm tryin man

Back