need new rear rim

uponone99

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I gots the 1972xs 650 frame, came raked and chpped, came with a spoked 16" rear rim and drum brake setup.. Upon viewing rear rim I noticed all the spokes are bent, thought no biggie just get a replacement spoked rim with new drum brake setup.. The problem I have ran into is I just cant seem to find on all setup already.. Mikes xs650 will sell a rim and a bag of spokes and a guy can lace it himself, but I have never done that before and trying to stay away from that option.. So my question is does anyone know where I can find one of these rims with the drum brake, or what rim will work as a replacement, I want to stick with the 16" rear and my 19" front...Also I am located in ALBERTA CANADA so places in Canada would be awesome, but am getting desperate so if I had to pull it out of the USA that would be ok too... Thanks everyone....

If you are looking for a new wheel you won't find one. Some companies make new rims and spokes to lace a new rim to your hub.
Look around at salvage yards. Some car salvage yards have some bike parts. Finding a bike salvage near you would be a good thing.
Asking on here is a good first step. There are many people from your side of the border on here. Some of them may know of a salvage yard you can look at.
Relacing your hub and rim with new spokes may be a good option. Lacing on a new rim with new spokes is another good option.
Several people on here have had good results using Mike's cadmium coated spokes. I have not heard much about the stainless.
You can find rims on Ebay also. In many colors too.
Leo

Back