Need Quick Carb Help!!

Kansas650

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have a 73 TX650 - been working on it a lot lately trying to get it to run right. Its sputtering and running horrible. I replaced both plugs today, took the carb bowls off and cleaned them. I took the carb cone filters off and cleaned them and cleaned the inside of the carbs with a q-tip and carb cleaner. Put everything back on and it runs like total crap. After I turn the fuel on and choke it, after a while the gas starts to run out of the carb on the right side of the bike, any clue as to whats causing this??? Thanks

I don't even think I know what Carbs I have on the bike. I know they are Mikuni but I don't know if they are the stock ones or not. I don't know a whole lot about these bikes, know its fun as hell to ride though, when its running that is, haha.

A picture would help here. A clean float bowl is not a clean carb. Only a total disassembly and a soak in carb cleaner (except rubber/plastic parts) followed by carb cleaner spray and compressed air can a carb even begin to be possibly considered clean. Sometimes it takes a few cycles to get a clean carb. Why? It's the passageways that have to be clean along with what we can see (jets, floats,needles,etc) for a carb to work. Have you checked your points and timing to make sure it's not them? Nothing beats a FULL tune-up to make a bike run GOOOOD.

Here is a picture of my carb if it helps. Hopefully it posts the picture.

mail

Last edited:
re: fuel leak. Are your petcocks closed? If not you need petcock and float work.
If so you need to find out why the float isn't closing at the full mark.

re: poor running. One or more of the fuel passages aren't flowing freely.
I wouldn't "dip" them unless you are planning to completely disassemble, including
throttle shaft seals.
I've never had to resort to dipping. Compressed air and carb cleaner in an aerosol can have worked (4 me).

When we see the carbs we can help further as to specifics of that carb model.

Back