Wanted - Need some 18MM or 11/16" OD pipe

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
Is anyone sitting on a length of pipe that fits this description? Don't need a lot, probably less than a 6" piece. It's for hammering a little flat and using it as a slug for welding the hoop back on the tail end of a frame.

I'd go fancy and order "frame slugs" from one of the vendors - but the problem with this is that the hoop is being welded back on in a place where the pipe is "squished" into an oval shape due to the upward bend, so the slug won't fit - being perfectly round.

I figure a pipe I could at least flatten to sort of match.

If nobody else has anything, I've got some 3/4" chromoly I'd give you. Since you're gonna have to modify it anyway, you could slit it and reshape it. Looks to be .065" wall.

Thanks Jim. I did think about cutting a slit in the leftover pieces of frame tube which I cut out, but decided I'd try and "score" some pipe closer in diameter first. We'll see what's out there.

Hi Pete. I`ve got a couple of hoops that are cut off way ahead of the flat spot. Take a look.
frame loop 001.JPG frame loop 002.JPG frame loop 003.JPG frame loop 004.JPG

I think I did a crappy job explaining what I'm doing:

I bought the bike - it already had the rear hoop lobbed off.
A forum member donated their chopped-off hoop to me.
I shortened that hoop and cleaned up the cuts on the frame - my intention is to weld the factory hoop back on, but shorter and with less of an upsweep.

The inside diameter of that portion of the frame is around 18MM.
The point at which is't being re-attached results in both sides of the pipe (both the existing frame and the now-smaller hoop) being slightly "squished" so they are oval, not completely round. Thus I cannot use a regular "slug" since they are round.

Hence the reason I am looking for 18MM diameter pipe, so I can "flatten" it a bit and then pound it into place before welding the hoop on.

Hopefully that's a better explanation.

Now I see. When I shortened the rear hoop on the scrambler I just heated the flat part and expanded it with a tapered punch so it was round instead of flat.
scrambler build 002.JPG

scrambler build 003.JPG

Found a bonkers website! Speedymetals.com - they appear to have everything!

Amazon had a bunch but they love stainless it seems, almost everything was stainless. I found mild steel on this site.

I ordered a piece of 11/16 and one 5/8 just for good measure. I'm sure i'll be able to make one of them work. My welds won't look as good as halfmiles, but hey you gotta start somewhere.

Back