Need some quick thoughts on putting front end back together - brake binding?

Jessezm

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Heya folks! 1972 Xs2. I'm trying to put the front end back together after a complete rebuild and when I mount the disk to the fork it spins freely as it should, but when I lower the brake caliper down onto it and then tighten the caliper mounting bolts, it binds up the disk and it will barely spin.

The caliper is brand new early type from Mike's XS. I've checked and the dimensions are identical to the OEM original. I reinstalled the original caliper and face the same issue. Pads are new. The fork lower leg is NOS and in perfect condition. It seems like there needs to be spaces on the inside of the caliper mount to hold it off of the disk enough so that it doesn't bind when I tighten the caliper down. But if I add enough washers to accomplish that, the spokes graze the back of the caliper, and it just ain't right! I didn't mess with the bearings or the spacer between the bearings in the disk, and they all spin freely. I've checked again and again against the parts fiche and all parts seem to be in place.

Anybody have any obvious ideas that I'm just totally missing?

Nevermind I think I figured it out. I think I have the disk installed backwards on the rotor

Back