needles and needle jets

zig917

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi guys rejetting the 81 for open pipes and pods. Was on mikes xs looking at needles and seen that the needles also have a corresponding needle jet. Can I just get the needles and use the stock needle jets? Carb is stock jetting. Thanks. I've only jetted 2 and 4 stroke MX bikes so the needle jet is unfamiliar to me. I've changed needles pilots and mains before.

You should get both. The Canadian needle was meant to be paired with the Canadian needle jet. You could experiment running with the stock needle jet but it may not work right. Now, they claim the Canadian needle and needle jet combo is richer than the stock U.S. set-up. That is probably true but if you study the Canadian needle jet, it may actually be a tad leaner than the U.S. version. It has more air bleed holes running down the sides. However, combined with the obviously richer Canadian needle (it's 2mm shorter than the stocker), the overall result is still a richer set-up.

What I'm getting at is if you try the Canadian needle with the stock needle jet, it may end up being too rich.

Back