Never to late for a project with your dad

CDNTX650

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
20150926_105618.jpg

Found this 1971 valiant for 5000 bucks. Zero rust....which is odd for a cdn a body..but it was an old lady's grocery getter after all. Last owner did tie rod ends, shocks, cap, rotor and wires, ball joints. 63000 miles . Decided since my dad was retiring there was no time like the present. Used the plans mr. Riggs put up here to make a points driven t.f.i. ignition with an accel 45kv coil. Found some dog dish hubcaps for it (not on yet) Rebuilt the accelerator pump. And just drove it and enjoyed it for the rest of summer. I even did valve lash...and you set it running!

Needs a few things over winter. Cylinder 6 plug is oily...good compression so I'll see if it needs stem seals...easy to do head on and cheap. Front crank seal has a small weep. Easy fix. Probably should do brake soft lines....guessing they are original.

Later stuff to do...Needs front seat cover and trunk mat. Weather stripping. Then eventually I'd like to get the body cleaned up and a same color re spray.

Good Ole buzzin half dozen 225 slant 6.

My dad worked on these cars when they were new. IIt's funny seeing the glint in his eye as he gets excited to work on these cars. Funny he always owned chevys though..always laughed at tinny shit box Moparsof the era

Last edited:
How cool is that? I would give anything to be able to work on a project like that with my Dad. Alas, it was not to be.
Enjoy...

WOW! Sharp little Valiant! It's funny how a person's perspective over what is 'UG!' to what is cool over the years... glad you get to do this project with Sr. Cool stuff...

WOW! Sharp little Valiant! It's funny how a person's perspective over what is 'UG!' to what is cool over the years... glad you get to do this project with Sr. Cool stuff...

no kidding eh. Even now I always get the "didn't want a two door?" if it means it's a rusted out shit box like most ended up being here for more than what I Paid no thanks.

To bad Mopars are such a pain to v8 swap. Wouldn't mind a 318 2 barrel for the same economy and better exhaust note. But the Ole slant is decently healthy and actually pretty peppy for what it is. :)

I had a 69 Valiant 2door sedan for a while... 225 slant shicksh with a 3 speed on the floor. Abused it but it never died! Good car. Finding one as clean as yours ain't no easy task and had it been a 2 door hardtop, YOW, it would have been cut up, tore up, blinged and basically ruined.... Your valiant reminds me of Dennis Weaver in that movie DUEL. If a truck starts following you around, JUST LET IT PASS!!!!

Haha. Heard that before about the passing truck.

Good Ole buzzin half dozen. Wish it had the super six package on it. Neat option.

I'd never heard of that option so I had to look it up. Imagine the throaty roar of a 2bbl on that 225! HA! Cool idea tho. I found a little 63-ish Chevy II one time that had the factory 230-six in it and someone had put a 4bbl intake and a quadrajet on it with an exhaust header. It was parked on an old city lot with a busted block... Wonder how THAT happened!

I've thought of Fenton headers and an Offy 2-one barrels set up for my old '54 Chevy truck and it's 235 but I kinda like it just sounding and running like an old 54 truck, so I'll just leave it be.

Same here. It runs so good and drives nice don't really need or want the head ache of a different carb setup unless I can get the factory setup.

Looks like a beauty, love the "dad" project idea. Had several of the slant 6 wonders. Radiators were notorious for plugging. Otherwise like energizer bunnies.

Back