1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

New 700cc Outfit

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Signal, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

The Front end is largely built, needs a couple of supports for the lower shock mounts, the top triple made and a few other odds and ends.
    2019_0420RD7000030 comp.jpg 2019_0420RD7000032 comp.jpg 2019_0429RD7000001 comp.jpg

Started laying the major components out on the table and fixing them into position.
    2019_0426RD7000005 comp.jpg 2019_0429RD7000002 comp.jpg

The exhaust spigots have been tacked together and fitted to give us an idea where the frame rails can run. Made a start on the front engine mounts and side wheel axle support.

2019_0429RD7000003 comp.jpg 2019_0429RD7000005 comp.jpg

Fitted a stock RD cylinder and new Chinese cylinder to a stock engine case to work out the port timing and how the ports need to be adjusted.

2019_0429RD7000004 comp.jpg

The Chinese cylinders are made to the Ranjoot specs and from all accounts the performance of the Ranjoot was pretty abysmal. The exhaust gasket cut outs in the cylinders was also not concentric and the flanges need a lot of filing to get them to fit nicely. Luckily I was aware of this problem when I drew out the flanges for water jet cutting.

TwoManyXS1Bs, Mailman, Jim and 2 others like this.
  2. Jim

Jim The thrill of victory and da agony of da feet. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

You guys gonna be ready for next season?

gggGary likes this.
  3. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

The aim is to have it on the track in October. Boxing day cemetery circuit is the race we really want it for, but also would like to have it for the Mike Pero Southern Classic in early December. The MPSC organisers are making sidecars the feature this year and we are trying to get a large contingent of North Island outfits down there at Timaru.
    https://cemeterycircuit.co.nz/
    https://www.cams-racing.org.nz/mike-pero-southern-classic-2016

It will probably debut without a fairing or paint job. Things will appear to move quickly as the frame comes together, then slow down again as the peripheral stuff gets done. Making the pipes will take a lot of time as we have to fit them on the bike somehow and still have the platform front exit.

4. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

We have had a busy time in the workshop the last few weeks.

The frame is mostly made and tacked together. The engine mounts and additional bracing in the head and swing arm pivot is still to be done.

The swing arm is almost done just a small amount of welding to do.

The rear brake and gear change mechanisms are well under way.

Last night I finalized the expansion chambers design, nothing fancy just followed the two stroke tuners guide. Years ago when fiddling with 2 strokes I had good results following his method and at this stage they will be good enough.

I have a friend with a large printer who has agreed to develop the cone patterns and print them for us. I will then test the patterns with cardboard and if all is good get the parts water jet cut neither of us fancy cutting that many cones by hand.

Also found out some troubling news regarding the Chinese barrels we are using. I have seen a forum post where the lining has moved in the casting. We have devised a way to pin the sleeve in the casting to help prevent this. The Chinese liners are inserted from the bottom rather the top.

The really time consuming work of making brackets and working out where to mount things is just beginning, but we have out sorted spots for the coils, CDI’s and the fuel pump. The fuel tank will mount on the platform.

We need to contact the local technical steward to get a ruling on the amount of oil containment we must have. The rules are written for 4 strokes to avoid oil being dumped on the track should a motor have a catastrophic failure. Two strokes are not mentioned and the minimum size of containment is 5L. We only have 1.5L in the gearbox.
    2019_0520RD7000006 comp.jpg
    Starting to bend and notch. 2019_0520RD7000010 comp.jpg
    Rear shock mounts and platform taking shape
    2019_0520RD7000016 comp.jpg
    A little bit of welding and fettling and it will be done.
    2019_0520RD7000017 comp.jpg
    Bracing is cut but not fitted for the head area
    2019_0520RD7000018 comp.jpg 2019_0520RD7000019 comp.jpg 2019_0520RD7000020 comp.jpg

geedubya, Meddy, TwoManyXS1Bs and 6 others like this.
  5. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Wow whata project.
    Looks a lot like jumping off a cliff and then designing and building a suitable landing spot while on the way down..
    I am in awe!

TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and Mailman like this.
  6. MaxPete

MaxPete Life with Lucille...I suggest, she decides. Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

That machine is going to have quite a sound - please post a video when you get it running!

Jim and gggGary like this.
  7. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

That thing is crazy cool! Love all the custom metal fab!

gggGary and Jim like this.
  8. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

Thanks guys for the positive comments.

Gary: yes it is very much make it up as you go along, although there are some design parameters that if you deviate too far from you could end up in trouble.

MaxPete: I will post a video of it running. So far as what it will sound like we don’t really know. I am sure we will have a shed full of visitors when we have its official start up day. It is only right that we have a bit of a celebration.

Mailman: We both enjoy the challenges and problem solving involved with building these things. Building these machines is much less drama than building custom road bikes as we don’t have to go through the Government transport department certification process. The racing to me is the icing on the cake.

9. Rasputin

Rasputin XS650 Addict

I love the can do attitude you guys have. Make it yourselves. As did another NZ guy, I think his name was Britten.
    I’m impressed.

10. Razorback

Razorback XS650 Member

Wow, this is a serious labour of love. And I am just trying to get my carbs to run smooth ;););)

Jim and gggGary like this.
  11. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

Time for an update.

The tyres have been mounted and wheel hubs refitted with discs. All buttoned up read to go.

The rear engine mounts have been made and the front one is nearly done. Still on the hunt for some 8mm steel rod to make the through bolts out of.

The gear shift shaft has been extended and the linkage made, need to remake a couple of mounts for the pedal but nothing major.

The test patterns for the cone development for the chambers worked well so they can be cut.

Started finishing the front end, making the top plate machining some large bolts to hold it on.

Not a lot to show but we have been pretty busy, but that’s how it goes.
    2019_0610RD7000004 comp.jpg 2019_0610RD7000005comp.jpg 2019_0610RD7000006.JPG 2019_0610RD7000007comp.jpg 2019_0610RD7000008comp.jpg

Meddy, geedubya, TwoManyXS1Bs and 3 others like this.
  12. Scripto VU

Scripto VU Dukes Speed and Custom

usa.
    I am certain your bike is not only going to be functional but is true ART.
    The purpose or goal of most art is to create an emotional response in the people that are exposed to it.
    Your project simply takes my breath away ... leaves me speachless. What talent ! How do you do that ?

Rasputin, TwoManyXS1Bs, Jim and 2 others like this.
  13. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie

Scripto Vu I don't really know what to say other than thank you for compliment.

Also there are two of us working on this and its a lot easier solving problems when you can bounce ideas back and forth.
    This weeks update:

The top triple plate is made this turned into a bit of a drama as I measured the distance between the two fork tubes without the front fork or wheel in.

Distortion from welding pulled the tubes together at the top meaning that when assembled the distance between fork tube centres changed and the top pate I made did not fit.

This was fixed by boring the holes bigger using the right centre to centre distance in the mill and turning some steel bushes to press into the top plate.

The front end steering shaft has been made to the correct length now.

With the top plate in situ work can start on mounting the master cylinder reservoirs and tacho.
    2019_0617RD7000003 comp.jpg

The front engine mount is finished and the through bolts have been made. The motor is properly mounted now.

The fuel pump is fixed in position under the right hand side engine cover, with that done the fuel rail / header tank can be sorted.
    2019_0617RD7000005 comp.jpg

The barbeque saw some more action this weekend and now 5 cracked heads are welded ready for fettling. When “vee-ing” the cracks out my friend noticed some porosity in the factory castings. The cavities had some become pockets for oil like substance to collect.

2019_0617RDheads comp.jpg

The rear brake set up is almost there just need to make a stopper for the lever and get a clevis pin. The first lot of AN3 brake fittings arrived just waiting for the line and some other angled banjos to come.

Brackets to mount the CDI’s have been made.

The water jet cutting for the chamber patterns hit a small snag when the drawings I took on the memory stick would not open. With luck this is sorted now and we should have some cones to roll up soon.

I have heard back from the local Technical Steward regarding oil containment and he said the rule was written for four strokes and we do not need a catch tray. That is a big bonus as catch trays are tricky to fit and very time consuming to make.

Work will slow down a bit for the next two weeks as we both have work commitments.

gggGary, GLJ, geedubya and 1 other person like this.
  14. 650Skull

650Skull Dinosaur Lives Top Contributor

been following...........I'm in awe....

gggGary likes this.