New air filters and keeping side covers?

joebgd

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Should I get strait or 15° mount air filters and can I keep my side covers w them? I'm leaning tword uni pods. Black or two stage red? I'm about to order a tire from Amazon so if anyone has a part recommendation for air filters. I'm looking at straight black unipods. Any o objections?

I did a little Dremel 'Clearancing' on my side covers. Any filter will fit, then. maybe removed up to 1/4" on the front sides to get pods to fit. could use a little more to get the Uni's fitting.

Uni 4200 on my 76 - no need to mod the covers.

They run straight out.

probably a good idea to run a carb support so all the weight isn’t on the front boots.

I have the UNI straight black on my '78 and the straight two stage red on my '83. They fit fine on both bikes with no need for side cover trimming. Now normally, I wouldn't bother with the two stage ones but I acquired them cheap from a local guy because they wouldn't fit on his chopper. His loss, my gain, lol.

I'm also going to get some carb jets
What's the consensus on jets from mikes?
Are they genuine should I get them elseware?

Can’t speak to mikes but if you have a local Yamaha dealer they can get them (if they don’t have em) most likely faster and cheaper.

mine sells genuine jets in packs of 4 for $4.35, gets em in 2-3 days if they aren't in stock and there is no shipping charge.

I think may people forget how much stuff they can still get at the local dealer.

I have a stripped head and frozen in air mix screw. Any tips on getting it out and what order does the new one go in o ring washer spring screw?

Back