New alternator, now the pistons aren't moving

Brian

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I replaced the original alternator with a PMA. After putting it on I wanted to mark TDC. However, now when I'm rotating my wheel with the chain on to rotate the drive shaft my pistons are not moving and neither is the rotor shaft. I'm sure this is a noobish question but I was hoping someone could help me out with it. I also don't have the clutch cable on since I am replacing the worm gear for the clutch on the case. If I remember right the clutch cable doesn't need to be hooked up for the clutch to fully engage. It is at least engaging enough to give me resistance when rotating the wheel by hand like it was before I installed the PMA. I know there was compression and the rotor shaft was moving prior to the removal as I tested it the day before I put the PMA in. Hopefully some one can help me out and I got my fingers crossed it's an easy fix.

I have tried searching the forum and google but with no real luck.

I currently have the bike jacked up and can shift through the gears. It is definitely not in neutral.

I did move the kickstarter and didn't see the pistons move. Pete, I'll try to remove the PMA tomorrow. I'm really hoping this is an easy fix.

Nope. Sounds like the clutch is engaged. I'm betting that the side cover was not installed properly and the clutch push rod is pressed in. A PMA install has nothing to do with "pistons not moving"....

Back