New and Old XS owner

Geeezzz....that is a pretty bike! The price seems OK to me and I'd give it a try with the stock exhaust for now.

On the modulators - the ones sold by Signal Dynamics are mainly for conventional (i.e. incandescent - halogen or not) lights. They may have a unit that will work on an LED light - but check carefully as the circuitry is different from one type of bulb to another.

If you want to run an LED - just search for a modulator that is suited to that type of bulb. I think I have an LED bulb in the taillight of my '76C (the effervescent Lucille :yikes:) and the S-D Back-Off unit seems to work just fine there.

Another good replacement to keep these old girls perking is to use LEDs in the instrument lights. There are <I think> about 10 bulbs between the illumination, idiot lights and turn signal indicators in the dash - and they are all the same type of bulb. The place to get them is called Super Bright LEDs

Pete
Thanks for the info!!

As far as all this talk about gearing and pipes... ride the bike enough to be comfortable with it and make up your own mind. Get it reliable first then start switching thing up. If it's still got the stock jetting, you'll want to address that pretty soon.... the carbs on it were jetted too lean from the factory... as Gary said, an EPA gift.

There's a lot of yellowing down the left carb and engine. Carbs were (and might still be) overflowing. That also means the vacuum petcock wasn't shutting off as it should. That'll need tending to.

Front brake line looks to be original rubber... which was designed to last about 5yrs. Braided stainless lines are readily available and dirt cheap.

To be accurate MARTY did the smoking that day, cough cough................ LOL

Indeed....I was following him that day and while he was faster than me (who isn't? :rolleyes:), he must have been getting great gas mileage, because all he seemed to be burning was 20W50 :smoke:.

I’m glad my buddy referred me to this site as I finally just purchased a Special 2 which is very close to my Special I bought new in 79 in the same Burgundy color. Back then I paid $2000 OTD now I paid 3200 for a old 81’ :) inflation

I’m going to keep this stock other then maybe rear sprocket tooth and performance exhaust slip on?

I wanted to get advice on best sprocket for just easy putting and if I could make it a little louder for safety. Any suggestions would be appreciated,

Bike will arrive in 3 weeks as it’s being shipped and anxious to get to ride it. Being an old nam era vet I needed a bike that fits. I sold my Pan head, heritage and Valkyrie as they were getting too much for me to ride safely.

View attachment 208442
Thank you for your service.

Greetings from a fellow 'nam era vet.
Looking forward to seeing some good pics of your bike.
What can you tell us about it's condition? The "claimed" condition anyway.
Thank you for your service. My dad was a Korean war vet, just like your era, they never got any respect.

'nother good sign... plastic is still white instead of sun faded yellow. PO also knew about JIS screws. These aren't stripped... which is very common on old XS'.

1645813764759.png

YES - git yerseff a set of JIS screwdrivers. there are NO Philips screws on any Japanese bike, car, VCR or toaster.

Try these - easily available and high quality:

Go Fast Innovations - ships to the USA every day.
or these:
Vessel - excellent tools available on Amazon.

...and don't forget to buy one of the big silver handled IMPACTA JIS#3 impact drivers. There is nothing better for removing chowdered clutch basket retaining screws.

Thank you for your service. My dad was a Korean war vet, just like your era, they never got any respect.
Thank you for kind words and showing it.. sadly when i got out nasty words and even spit but understand. I just hoped we learned from that. Thus riding a bike makes me forget all about any negativity. Riding this bike will do exactly that as the first one was just after I got out .. Peace

Yes, ride the bike "as is" for a bit to get a "feel" for it and maybe sort out any minor problems. If you decide to change the exhaust then headpipes and mufflers are best, in other words, the whole nine yards. I see you were surprised at how cheap the mufflers are. Not like Harley stuff, huh, lol. I don't recommend the mufflers Gary linked to. Instead, get the other version of that same muffler with 1.5" inlets. Then they'll mount up to the headpipes perfectly without the need for reducer sleeves.

I've played around with sprocket sizes on both 16" and 18" rear wheels. Due to their slight circumference difference, I find a different size works best for each wheel. The 18" is best with a 33T, the 16" with a 32T.

Yes, for best running, some slight re-jetting of the carbs is needed. Even on an all stock bike, it will run better if you bump the mains up a size. If you change the exhaust then a few more changes may be needed.

YES - git yerseff a set of JIS screwdrivers. there are NO Philips screws on any Japanese bike, car, VCR or toaster.

Try these - easily available and high quality:

Go Fast Innovations - ships to the USA every day.
or these:
Vessel - excellent tools available on Amazon.

...and don't forget to buy one of the big silver handled IMPACTA JIS#3 impact drivers. There is nothing better for removing chowdered clutch basket retaining screws.
just bought a set on Amazon -thks

adly when i got out nasty words and even spit

I am not a vet - but I was certainly around when that stuff was happening in the US. It is hard to imagine the citizens of a country (ANY country) doing that to their own people.

...and so, I will join @46th Georgia by thanking you, and all service people, for your service.

Pete

Can we inquire as to your wrenchin' abilities? That will help us as far as offering help and suggestions... which you'll get whether you want it or not... :sneaky:
As far as my abilities it’s from Military being a mechanic on UH-1 Baby huey’s ,130, F4 and later F15. Did lots of work on Harley projects but definitely not very good .. so probably im a want to be garage wrench r..

But I do my homework and take advice from folks that have first hand experience which I see most of you do and sincerely appreciate all the advice. I’m thankful to be on this site and look forward to learning and sharing , but first I need that baby delivered here in my garage. It’s 28 degrees today in Austin Tx and hope it warms up soon. TC Jim

I’ve cleaned a few carbs and rejetted but lately it’s harder as I tend to shake and short term memory is bad like missing where I just put something away.

That's why you'll want to keep a log on the bike. Write it all down - oil changes, carb jetting changes, everything. My memory isn't terrible but even so, I could never remember all that stuff, especially with 3 or 4 bikes, lol.

Maintenance Log.jpg

That's why you'll want to keep a log on the bike. Write it all down - oil changes, carb jetting changes, everything. My memory isn't terrible but even so, I could never remember all that stuff, especially with 3 or 4 bikes, lol.

View attachment 208456
I need to start a log to
Otherwise I'm guessing too

Looks like we have similar backgrounds. Crewed a UH-1N for a few yrs.... F-4C's, D's, E's and Recce's... and F-15's from prototypes up through Block42. Though most of my time was on F-111's.
Spent 2 1/2 months at the NCO Academy down your way in Bergstrom before they closed it... loved the place.

but lately it’s harder as I tend to shake and short term memory is bad
I feel ya... :(

Last edited:

View attachment 208456
great idea i’m glad i sold my other bikes and nor only have this one. I’ll be sure to start a log and attach tech info as it relates

Back