New bobber build

DEMON DAVE

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
ok well I started with a $100.00 1980 xs650 which had not been started in near to 10 years, new plugs and starting fluid brought it back to life,ran well for setting outside for 10 years in a desert back yard.
ive started stripping it down , ordered a TC bros hardtail,alien tank and a bunch of other parts which start arriving Monday,more pics will follow.

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD 1.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 1.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 184
  • XS650 BUILD 2.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 2.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 180
Parts are rolling in daily for the next few days.
should install the hardtail this weekend if everything goes as planned.

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD  4.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 4.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 142
received 2 more boxes of parts Tuesday and Wednesday more on Monday , final tear down tomorrow , hardtail should be on Saturday (hopefully).
looks like a few more parts gonna get ordered tomorrow , DNA springer,risers,rear fender,struts and air ride seat set up

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD 5.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 5.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 183
Was really busy today , road trip to pick up my 21" ft spoke wheel , paid some bills then removed everything but the motor , first thing tomorrow pull motor then off to welder for hardtail install, damn I'm making headway fast

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD 6.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 6.jpg
    238.7 KB · Views: 167
Ok had a couple delays this morning but got the engine removed after dinner , off to the welder in the morning (he's a work a holic) , progress .

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD 7.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 7.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 166
Your welder will need to make some kind of bracing to keep the frame from "springing" or you will need to put the motor back in, unless he has a frame jig, otherwise you may have problems getting the motor back in and the mounts to all line up properly.

Your welder will need to make some kind of bracing to keep the frame from "springing" or you will need to put the motor back in, unless he has a frame jig, otherwise you may have problems getting the motor back in and the mounts to all line up properly.
he's done a few frames (famous for killer customs vehicles including chop tops) he has already discussed a quick jig or brace set up, that's for looking out BRO.
I cant wait to get this going.

ok frame and TC BROS hardtail dropped off at fab shop this afternoon .
received a bunch of parts from monstercraftsman as well today, things are moving at a good pace.
getting ready to order the next round of parts , rr fender/struts . duel air bag seat kit , seat , DNA springer will be next then Barnett Kevlar clutch with new steels and springs , rebuild carbs and start mock up.
lets get this party started :D

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD PARTS 1.jpg
    XS650 BUILD PARTS 1.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 190
frame still at fab shop , hes super busy but I've decided on a front gusset , hes going to cut it on water jet should come out nice

Attachments

• xs gusset.jpg
    xs gusset.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 175
Ok well ordered a few more parts , frame still at fabrication shop (he's super busy) ,so now on to wheel choice for the rear I currently have the stock rear 1980 mag (front I have a 21'' HD wheel) so I want a spoke wheel what choices do I have ? of course an xs spoke but what other can I source for the rear ? disc brake or drum either way .

More parts arrived , I've been super busy so haven't started messing with my motor yet , fabrication guy has been swamped and has not got my frame completed yet but no worries I should get something done this coming week as im on vacation.
a teaser photo of the parts stash .
hope to be funding the springer next week :confused:

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD 8.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 8.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 168
figured today I should post the frame back from the hardtail install and after a few brackets were removed several more coming off but its too hot in the desert to work on it now .
will take a few pics without all the background stuff later.

***slipped in a pic of seat and tank mocked up , its looks good to me :bike:

Attachments

• XS650 BUILD 8.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 8.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 173
  • XS650  BUILD 9.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 9.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 159
  • XS650 BUILD 10.jpg
    XS650 BUILD 10.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 175
Last edited: