New guy - Chris from L.A., just bought an XS2

Yourboychrisc

ObXSessed
Reaction score
Might as well introduce myself. My name is Chris, I'm 26 from Los Angeles and i just bought my first Yamaha, a 1972 XS2. Here she is:

7898757730_470531dff1_c.jpg

7898766908_b7038f234f_c.jpg

7898761268_42fca37c52_c.jpg

7898764336_049fda36a8_c.jpg

7898758774_39d68c23a4_c.jpg

You may or may not have seen it posted by the previous owner. I started off working on vintage mopeds a couple of years ago. Completed this custom build, which I sold for $2500 and bought my first motorcycle, a 1973 Honda CL350. Here's the moped, I've done quite a few and still build them for people for pocket change, but this one is my favorite:

5506430851_b5d3b65cb4_z.jpg

My original plan was to find a low-mileage early model XS and do a brat buid, something along the lines of this:

xs650_01-500x333.jpg

But considering what amazing condition this thing is in, I can't bear to do anything to it. I think im gonna put some lower bars on it, probably clubmans, and call it a day. The previous owner put those pipes on it, which i absolutely love and tuned the carbs accordingly and fitted some pod filters. He also replaced the swingarm bushings and fork seals and had that seat done. I'm considering putting a PAMCO ignition on it, and am open to input there.

I took it for it's first ride today, only about 10 miles or so but I couldn't stop smiling, it rides great. I think I'll probably keep my eye out for another mid to late 70's XS and build that one up as i need to always be wrenching on something. I'd love to connect with any other XS owners in Los Angeles, I've got a great garage an dbackyard for wrenching, complete with BBQ and a basketball hoop. I'm still pretty new to motorcycle mechanics as well and havent done much beyond the basic valve/points adjustment and oil change but I'm reading as much as I can.

That's about it, I look forward to learning more about these bike here on the forum. Feel free to ask any questions about the bike.

Here's a pic of my at Bratstyle in Japan with the owner of the shop, I was on tour with my band earlier this year and got a chance to stop by and check them out. They even gave me an impromptu lesson on how they fabricate their so commonly imitated seat pans out of fiberglass, super cool guys:

7898872718_bfca3c3369_c.jpg

Thanks!

Rad bike for sure.

Id rock some dirt bike bars and call it a day.

I would love to go check out bratstyle's shop

That is a sweet ride ! An electronic ignition is always a good addition on an old bike unless it is a museum piece that won't get ridden. I wouldnt even change the bars, they look stock and that is a comfortable riding position if you are in traffic ( lots of stop and go) . If you were near Toronto I would get you to build a bike for me. Nice to see a younger guy that knows what to do with a classic bike .

Nice bike ! I Have grown to really love My XS2s . It's just a great bike . I like the black look of yours . Best of luck with it . Ride it as if it was the last bike on earth ( don't beat it ) and it will last another 40 years . You'll never lose a dime on it either.
Regards,
CPKID

You may be new to the XS(nice bike btw) but you have a good handle on design and mechanics. Great little mo-ped. Welcome to the site.

Very nice looking bike. Glad to hear it wont be bobbed. The 70-73 bikes are getting hard to find in that nice of condition.

Thanks guys. I'm going to keep it as immaculate as I can. I would leave the stock bars but they are so wide and don't allow me to split lanes very easily. I ordered some clubmans which should be here within the week.

I'm gonna throw the girl on the back of it tonight and go for a cruise.

welcome man. i'm jealous, of the condition of your xs. super clean. i'm actually going with the somewhat same setup for exhaust. trumpet mufflers but maybe a bit bigger pipes.

Good plan, no reason to mess with that bike much, find another and have at it! do a build thread looks like you will build a great machine.

Get yourself some stainless spokes from Mikes and you'll be all set. Looks to be the last area needing attention. You may find the clubmans a bit too low. I always switch to Euro bars. Slightly lower and narrower with a very comfortable bend .....

EuroBars.jpg

pleasr do not enter any contests here with that bike - it just would not be fair to the competition.

It's a beauty.

Sweet bike! I love those side covers with the silver wings and fancy font. Was that custom?

Unless I'm looking at a different picture then you are, those are factory 72 part's.

Oh ya. Nice bike. :thumbsup:

we are sort of all over la
but meet up at my homies mens clothing store on la brea
when we do our night rides we meet at my other homies loft in downtown
ill contact you next time we have a ride set up...hopefully when my build is finished!

I think they might be from Mike's but not sure

I'm in hancock park/koreatown. I'd love to come ride, where are you guys?

Back