new HHB combo ignition charging system overheating stator wires..help

New product......No instructions...............Problems............=..........=..............=......

Get hold of the seller and go from there.

Any and all contributions to this thread are mute until Hugh has been notified and a recourse action has been taken.

No one should help you do anything to the product, as it is under warranty, and to be fair to Hugh, if you have mucked about with the PMA because of advice from here then Hugh doesn't have to uphold the warranty.

USE YOUR SENSE

So far I've emailed him on Saturday still waiting for a response and done nothing but an inspection to my install which to me seems like the 3 connections I had to make to my bike are solid
Hopefully I'll get an answer of some sort from him tomorrow
Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate any advice
I did my best to inspect the soldered connections st the stator as well

So far I've emailed him on Saturday still waiting for a response and done nothing but an inspection to my install which to me seems like the 3 connections I had to make to my bike are solid
Hopefully I'll get an answer of some sort from him tomorrow
Thanks everyone for your input I appreciate any advice
I did my best to inspect the soldered connections st the stator as well

Thats the thing about emails on a Saturday - some businesses are closed on the weekends :wink2: I try to spend the weekends with my family, and not glued to the computer :thumbsup:

I think we got you sorted out, I still don't know why that regulator would have acted as it did, we've sent you a replacement. Should you have an issue with a 2nd regulator, then there is something grounding out or otherwise on your bike external to the CDI system. Check all your fuses for the proper ratings, etc...

Please please please return the regulator back to us, so we can test it to see why perhaps it has gone belly up.

Hugh

Hugh is a solid human... And a business owner... And a family man... And an innovator... And has a passion for the xs650 that is equal to or greater than anybody here. And knowing him, I would never have a doubt he would make a situation like this right. I know from experience that patience is hard to come by when you're itching to ride, but sometimes that's all you need.

No doubt I figured being a hard worker during the week like I am that it would be during the week before I would get with him. I guess I just stated it factually as it seems many was saying get with Hugh
There was no doubt we will get it sorted one way or the other being as I was free on the weekend I just figured someone may have had some insight.
Hopefully no one thinks I was attempting to discredit because that was not at all what I was trying to accomplish
when I have my little guy with me all he wants to do is ride his yellow motorcycle so it's imperative that its in some sort of running condition LOL

No sweat! I wish I could be there in person for each and every install, it's always easier to see whats going on that way.

Back and forth via email/phone can be tiring for sure, but if the end result is a running/riding machine - then yeah, its all worth it!

Trust me, we ain't getting rich doing this - so I must just like doing it :thumbsup:

So far checked my bikes other accessories and found no issues
Wired in new reg and rode my kiddo (bikes owner ;)
around the yard about 3 miles worth
Will update
Was OK for little while then.no charging again

So far it has blown a fuse on the + connection of the regulator
Replaced a 15a I had wired in for a 20 amp
Had blown that fuse with no outside draw
Odd I believe wouldn't think with a fully charged battery and no load it would blow a fuse

Last edited:
So far checked my bikes other accessories and found no issues
Wired in new reg and rode my kiddo (bikes owner ;)
around the yard about 3 miles worth
Will update
Was OK for little while then.no charging again

So far it has blown a fuse on the + connection of the regulator
Replaced a 15a I had wired in for a 20 amp
Had blown that fuse with no outside draw
Odd I believe wouldn't think with a fully charged battery and no load it would blow a fuse

You shouldn't typically need a fuse between the regulator and the battery, however it is not bad idea, as it will show if there is an issue between the bike and the battery wiring. Blowing a fuse is typically an issue of a grounding issue between the bike and battery, the fuse protecting the circuit obviously.

Man, I wish I as there to help sort it all out. The blown fuse has to be from a hot wire somewhere grounding out.

Do you have fuses on all of your other accessories? Headlight? Brake Light? Etc?

Hugh

Everything is fused .Going to slow charge the battery and test again as I didn't want to try and decipher voltages based on a battery that would start and run but wasn't fully charged due to the fuse

I'll have to read directions again but I don't recall any info on fuses being used on this new kit-if this kit requires fuses please post sizes and what wires should be fused. still putting mine together. thanks

I've had this complete cdi ignition system for awhile now but only have an hour of run time on it and its faultless in my opinion. My only problem is being minimal as my circuit side is, powers on/off switch, no kill, no battery, kick only, that nothing stays on unless I hook up a battery to it. Bought a MOSFET regulator because the one that came with kit was spiking at 18 volts. I know all my grounds are good because they're all hard wired to chassis. Even replaced the Sparx capacitor that was recommended. Timing is just barely idling advanced. We've checked wiring so many times. If there was something wrong with wiring why does it work fine with battery and nothing with capacitor?

so, I finally got to the point where I want to start the motor for the 1sr. time after rebuild and it does fire up but will not stay running- fires up then dies after 2 sec. no acc- no fuses-kick only-new vm34s w/ stacks TC bros-headers (short)-any suggestions on what to fart with first to keep it running? tc bros claim carbs to work straight out of the box-hhb claims cdi system to work on half a kick-not according to my motor thus far...

Roadstar06, are you and Kenny the same account? If not, I'd suggest posting a clear summary and detailed overview of what's going on and what's been modded on your bike in a clean fresh thread. The only info for your issues I can see outside of the most recent post is an ask to list all required fuses.

Roadstar06, are you and Kenny the same account? If not, I'd suggest posting a clear summary and detailed overview of what's going on and what's been modded on your bike in a clean fresh thread. The only info for your issues I can see outside of the most recent post is an ask to list all required fuses.
no..not same acct. I messaged hugh 2x via facebook and have not gotten a reply yet

Back