new member 80 xs650

80650xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
new to the forum but not new to motorcycles. just picked up a 1980 xs650 with 11,xxx miles on it for $150 from a buddy. rode it home! Around 30 mph the bike oscillates up and down like there is a flat spot on the tire (or the tire is a square for better visualization) I will be getting a new chain as the one is pretty stretched, and probably has a kinking link, but tires are good, steering head bearings and swingarm bearings will be replaced but look and feel fine right now. Not sure what it is, any ideas? it only happens around 30-40 mph and goes away as you slow or speed up.

Check out the tire pressures obviously. Likely an old tire out of balance.
What a steal! $150? I'm in WA state too and look all the time so "you beat me to it" lol.
-R

Here she is. All stock besides the pod filters and different bars. Out of balance tire or a flat spot could be it. Haven't checked the date but they probably need replacing. Where at in Washington are you machine? Hope everyone is staying safe out there

Attachments

• Snapchat-2107756834.jpg
    Snapchat-2107756834.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 139
You probably have a gimp tire but I would put it on the centerstand , spin the wheels to make sure one of the mags is not bent.
Welcome to the site.

thanks guys! definitely scored with this one. went for a ride today and had the chain slip off the sprockets. luckily the tire didn't lock up and I had enough tools with me to put it back on and carefully make it home. bent the adjuster bolt and did some damage to the rear sprocket bolts. new chain, 31T rear sprocket, and bolts are ordered. will get new tires in a few weeks, ill be sure to check the wheels when that happens.

You might want to check the condition of the wheel bearings while you have the wheels off. You have the luxury of having a running bike the you can do incremental upgrades while getting to enjoy the upcoming riding season.

thanks guys! definitely scored with this one. went for a ride today and had the chain slip off the sprockets. luckily the tire didn't lock up and I had enough tools with me to put it back on and carefully make it home. bent the adjuster bolt and did some damage to the rear sprocket bolts. new chain, 31T rear sprocket, and bolts are ordered. will get new tires in a few weeks, ill be sure to check the wheels when that happens.

Hi 80650xs and welcome,
chain & sprockets are best replaced as a set.
I'd recommend 17/33 rather than 17/31 because a 31T rear sprocket turns 5th into an overdrive.
Note that the front brake lever's piston is sized to work the dual front brakes on Euro & Pacific market XS650s.
Unless you like a wooden front brake feel, swap to a lever with a smaller piston.

A smaller master cylinder huh? This bike has probably the worst brakes on any motorcycle I've ever rode, wouldn't a smaller piston make that worse? And you're right I need to order a front sprocket. I'm not a heavy guy (130 lbs.) So the bike shouldn't have a problem with the taller gears... I hope!

Nice score. I picked mine up a few years ago in olympia for $100 and spent 2 years getting it going, then had a failure when I took it in for dyno tuning. So now it sits while I find a house now that I left washington.

Back