New member 83 650

Yes, the '83 has several added safety relays that earlier models didn't get (sidestand, clutch/starter). However, they are easily done away with if you want to simplify things. And I do recommend getting rid of at least the sidestand one. It's switch is mounted on the stand under the bike so is subjected to all the water, dirt, and debris kicked up from the road. It can and does go bad. And the relay associated with it acts upon the ignition black box, shorting it out and killing the spark, so if the switch or relay go bad, you are dead in the water.

Thanks for the reply yes ive got the schematic and manual- looks like i might get one if I determine the p.o got into this one - theres a decent amount of corrosion on connections- i bet ive got a pinch somewhere- fishing time - back to the bike next week

Last edited:
One of the first things I do when I get one of these is go through all the wiring. I start at the tail light and work my way forward into the headlight bucket. I check and clean all the connections, and look for any rubbed bare or damaged wires, and it's not uncommon to find some. Yes, you could replace the whole harness but a careful check and go through of the one you've got may be enough. I've never replaced a harness. My buddy did but then had issues with the new one. Some of the wires were connected wrong. So, a new harness isn't necessarily a cure-all.

Thanks I agree 100% and have had success wiggling and fixing shorts
Hust asking if anyone has a niche cycle harness out of boredom yesterday

Picked up another box of 30 amp - they had not burned previously id seen a neighbor and in my rush to kick the bike to show it rsn the day before I noticed them pop - its a pinch and prayer but better here than 15 minutes out

At first i was frustrated as it was progressing and now a short - but it hit me - ive waited decades to get another xs - no hurry on this my brother passed away a while back - id owed him an xs650 and can take some comfort knowing he’s looking over my shoulder- sitting in the garage admiring the form on the down tubes snd engine cases - it hit me - he was 18-19 bought a 75 new and rode it from slo ca - to ny and back - he must have been head over heels just sitting looking at his new 75 back then - he camped with it - it had a cool sissy bar

I had moved on to z1’s and had done a stupid kid move and disassembled the xs in the excuse i was going to fix its crash damages / him once / me ten / … it sat and in a loser move i sold it to a father son pair that was going to put it back together
150.00 … it was in bad shape… id crashed at speed and slow a-few times
My brother in ny didnt know or care but i definitely owed him a bike for years after
Id figured hed be around and except for fate he would have been here to hand the keys to this one next spring- i may find a well sorted youngster and give them it

Yes i saw that as i read the manual yesterday sitting next to the bike
Im finding electric surgery stuff from the previous owner and trying to restore everything to its original connection and location
Lots of hack stuff it looks like the previous owner had a stator issue im still locating issues and picking up a new tester later
The factory manual is great it literally has everything in pictures even how to test each component - found this sheet of xs wire diagrams and these bosh whatever’s hidden in the tool compartment- there’s another toggle installed on the bike itself i may need to post pics later - it runs but if plug that red wire repair together it blows fuses - headlight and panel and neutral lights out with unplugged but starts - im pretty sure im going to buy a harness and stator but need to read the connection readings first

Attachments

• 8D308E48-415B-43A3-BA95-BF254D2D98F1.jpeg
    8D308E48-415B-43A3-BA95-BF254D2D98F1.jpeg
    316.3 KB · Views: 66
  • 9460B358-994F-43BB-9A81-06110BF1A7EF.jpeg
    9460B358-994F-43BB-9A81-06110BF1A7EF.jpeg
    258.6 KB · Views: 62
  • 7B3B07EC-B785-4209-9A56-FF895DA4524C.jpeg
    7B3B07EC-B785-4209-9A56-FF895DA4524C.jpeg
    338 KB · Views: 66
Rear rim cleaned up perfect im
Only needing a 83 hs front rim and the left side small side cover under the actual side cover - each waxing and toothbrush is helping - this side is the un detailed side - getting there - original paint and some nu finish and turtle wax - little bit here and there - acorn nuts last but even they are steel wool shining up- came with just installed but dirty- nice shocks - im a big person so shocks and tires are always $$ getting replaced right away - these progressive shocks are really nice - sob that’s a win- i try and focus on something positive when these projects have issues
Its gonna get fixed - its hobby stuff - and to enjoy the steak 🥩 not devour it

Attachments

• 612A3315-E773-4731-95FA-9CE0F4452714.jpeg
    612A3315-E773-4731-95FA-9CE0F4452714.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 71
Yes i saw that as i read the manual yesterday sitting next to the bike
Im finding electric surgery stuff from the previous owner and trying to restore everything to its original connection and location
Lots of hack stuff it looks like the previous owner had a stator issue im still locating issues and picking up a new tester later
The factory manual is great it literally has everything in pictures even how to test each component - found this sheet of xs wire diagrams and these bosh whatever’s hidden in the tool compartment- there’s another toggle installed on the bike itself i may need to post pics later - it runs but if plug that red wire repair together it blows fuses - headlight and panel and neutral lights out with unplugged but starts - im pretty sure im going to buy a harness and stator but need to read the connection readings first
Do the tests, generally the stator is bullet proof.
First brushes then rotor then rec/reg The late solid state reg/recs are dying off of old age now.

Back