New member and owner of '83 Heritage

jmarkha1

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been surfing around this site and looking for a bike.
I have had all sorts of bikes - on and off road but really wanted to build a simple twin to cruise around on.
XS650 seemed perfect basis for that.
I am based in UK - just outside London and have been looking on eBAy and classifieds for a solid base bike.
Found a Heritage in eBAy, imported from US in 1998 and not used a lot.
Not keen on the Heritage trim but looking to:
Simplify the bike by removing all trim possible.
Add 18 inch rear wheel.
Flat bars.
remove hump in rear of frame and fit flat bench seat.
fit some fat firestones.
enjoy...

day1.jpg

day2.jpg

day3.jpg

Welcome, but I'm not sure about the 98' part. I didn't think they made these after 87'?? Bike looks good,and you should have some fun!!

Yep, welcome aboard. I'm a bit partial to the Heritage Specials meself, I believe they're a good platform for just about anything you'ld like to do. The seat can be a bit tricky to work with due to the upper locking mechanism.....you can cut it off but then it's hard to go back to stock......shoulda kept the side hinges for a few more years.

thanks - yes I am really happy with the bike - ordered a few small parts to get it going again and should be good.
It came with mikuni 34s and was popping on one side. Was going to change exhaust gaskets, inspect inlets and valve timing and go from there.
NJ1639 - would be good to add side hinges to the bike especially if I end up with a flatter style seat.

some more work on the old bird.
Lots of wiring, frame tabs gone and on with 18" rear and some classic firestones...
getting there.
wheels.jpg

Lots of cutting tabs and smoothing out of frame today - after a few cutting and sanding discs ended up with a smooth frame ready for battery tray, fender, lights and rear loop -

frame.jpg

frame2.jpg

Back