New Member, first bike ever (xs650). Confused

bsinnest

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey!

So, I am new to this forum. Been browsing for a little bit now.
I bought my first bike in the fall of 2010. It took some looking around, but finally found a bike to call my own.

I was on the lookout for a bike that i could cut down and make a hardtail out of. After some searching and seeing some bombs of old bikes for ridiculous prices, I finally found one. Out in the grass already hardtailed, old sportster tank, harley risers, and Spoked wheeles. Also Titled, (Holy Hannah) just what I wanted.
Ended up getting the bike for $200 - Looking good so far! -

It had been sitting down at my uncles' place for 15 years (didn't really know about it)
It had been rebuilt back then, only 9000km on it. It was dry seized from sitting so long, so took some time to take it apart and get all top end rebuilt. That being Cylinders Honed out, new pistons, valves lapped and resealed/seated. -This cost only $150

So, enough blabbing for now. I will create a thread later on trying to update on everything i do.

Hoping to do a lot of reading on here, learning and sharing! :D

Ok,

Here are a few pictures..
Didn't take any the day i picked it up.. It was pouring out!

justgettinghome.jpg

TankthedayIgotit.jpg

CleanTank.jpg

BodyFill.jpg

Primer.jpg

PaintingFrame.jpg

SideView.jpg

NewPaint7.jpg

NewPaint2.jpg

NewPaint6.jpg

Let me know what you think, This will definitly help me to keep a log on the things i'm doing on the bike!

The price was great and it looks like you have forward progress. I like your tank and paint. Keep up the good work and keep us updated. Welcome to the forum! :bike:
Remember, someone has done everything you (and I) are going to do and made any mistakes you might make too. We'll try to help you get sorted when you get stuck.

Ok, I have a bunch of info and stuff to update when I get more time. Here are a couple photos of the bike last night.

It's Certainly coming along. Hoping to have it on the road in a week or so.

1611_10150208395070172_509625171_7334742_6281024_o.jpg

7379_10150208429180172_509625171_7334949_3871817_o.jpg

Thanks,

Green paint is from spray gun.
Mirrors I am going to leave on, inspections are soon coming to the province I live in, so at least one was required. The bike looked silly with only one of these mirrors on. Had to go get the second.

Also, first year on a bike... kind of want to do it properly.

Brian

I did have the springs from my corolla on there, but i couldn't reach the ground.... Opted to go with these instead 5" Springs...
The 3" that were on there before, left the seat leaning backwards. Didn't like the feel.

those welds on the seat peice look cold. Ide do them over with less wire feed to get more penetration.
I like the green on bikes. I have a green frame and black sporty tank, and no one that has seen it in person likes it. screw em!! my bike!!!

hrm.. i wouldn't have really known much about the cold weld then did some reading.

You suppose I should, I have beaten on those welds, and the nub piece and it didn't go anywhere... Is this something that can brake over time? or would it have let go already?

Thanks,

Fenders..are there going to be any added? Other than that, Sweet lookin' ride.:thumbsup:

Welcome to the fold. Wheels look like79 Special II carbs look like 80 or later? Good idea to keep that front brake. Good start on a cool ride. Hope the rest of the welds don't look like that seat bar weld? Just say'n

There are fenders yes, working on the rear one right now.
I think you're right about the wheel, when I listed off the tire size to the bike shop, he said the same.

As for the weld thing, that is the first thing I've welded on the bike, I may grind them off and retry.:shrug:

Back