New member from PA

Fuller

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello all. New to the site and to bikes in general. First project ever happens to be a '78 xs650. The bike has been sitting for 20 years in a leaky storage unit. I don't know to much about bikes, but I hear this is the best place to learn the xs650, so I will start here Currently prepping the frame to be striped and re-powder coated. :):thumbsup:

Attachments

• IMG_20151030_104358.jpg
    IMG_20151030_104358.jpg
    296.9 KB · Views: 235
  • IMG_20151030_104726.jpg
    IMG_20151030_104726.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 227
  • IMG_20151030_104712.jpg
    IMG_20151030_104712.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_20151030_133649.jpg
    IMG_20151030_133649.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 225
Oh, and if there is anyone that has any tips for me, I would really appreciate it. Since Im almost positive I will have to tear the engine apart to see the condition inside, and I am by no means a mechanic.

Thanks!

30 year old motorcycle,,,, white living room carpet. It all seems good to me, carry on!
yeah that one, will have you pulling your hair a time or two. check the tech section for hints, the new to me thread is a good starting place.

Oh, and if there is anyone that has any tips for me, I would really appreciate it. Since Im almost positive I will have to tear the engine apart to see the condition inside, and I am by no means a mechanic.

Thanks!

Hi Fuller and welcome,
I'd suggest that before you do a major teardown you check if the engine turns over and then do a compression test.
If you get around 90psi or more, see if you can get the thing running.
A good engine should give ~150 psi but anything above ~90psi on a motor that ain't run for 20 years is a good indication that driving the bike 100 miles or so will bring the numbers up a fair bit.

Hey Fredintoon, thanks for the advice. I wish that was a possibility but seeing as the guy that owned it before me had started tearing parts off of the engine, I don't exactly have an entire engine. Ha-ha. I do however have a spare engine that I am trying to swap parts from. Im thinking that I could build a mount out of wood and see if it turns over off the bike when I know its complete.

- - - I do however have a spare engine that I am trying to swap parts from. Im thinking that I could build a mount out of wood and see if it turns over off the bike when I know its complete.

Hi Fuller,
it will most likely be easier to drop the engine back into the frame than to make an engine stand out of wood.
And besides, once you have a complete engine, it may even start.

Hi Fuller, welcome to the forum. I just finished up a 1981 XS650 Special that sat for around 30 years without running, as long as the motor turns by hand, you got something to work with, I didn't pull mine, I changed oil, sup filter, side filter, went through all the wiring, cleaning each connection and had many other items to check or replace, took over a year but finally done. There is a lot of good guys here to help and a lot of good info.

Hi Fuller and welcome,
I'd suggest that before you do a major teardown you check if the engine turns over and then do a compression test.
If you get around 90psi or more, see if you can get the thing running.
A good engine should give ~150 psi but anything above ~90psi on a motor that ain't run for 20 years is a good indication that driving the bike 100 miles or so will bring the numbers up a fair bit.

A1 on what Fred sez......these engines can be quite forgiving in the neglect they get.
I picked up a '77 a few years ago that had sat since '84/'85.....7K on the clock but motor seized. Once she was freed up the compression read 80 plus each cylinder. Runs like a champ with no teardown. Haven't rechecked the compression, no need to.

A1 on what Fred sez......these engines can be quite forgiving in the neglect they get.
I picked up a '77 a few years ago that had sat since '84/'85.....7K on the clock but motor seized. Once she was freed up the compression read 80 plus each cylinder. Runs like a champ with no teardown. Haven't rechecked the compression, no need to.
Well. As I look at things on the engine, there is quite a bit missing. The guy that owned to before me had began tearing it apart and lost alot of small things. So I'm trying to mock things up with a spare engine. Good news though, after about 3 hours I got the kick start shaft put together and installed, and it turns the motor.

Question, how do you do a compression test and what is needed?

Question, how do you do a compression test and what is needed?

Hi Fuller,
it's a pressure gauge on a hose that threads into a sparkplug hole:-

https://www.google.ca/search?q=engi...2&ved=0CDsQsARqFQoTCPWa2Zn7-sgCFQKUHgodM1AHUg

Professional quality testers ain't cheap but all us shadetree mechanics need is a ~$30 el-cheapo from Harbor Freight or similar establishment.
To use, remove both plugs, thread the tester into each sparkplug hole in turn, kick or use e-start to turn the engine over ~10 turns with carbs either removed or held wide open.
150psi is great, 100psi is still redeable, less than 75? Dodgy.

Hi Fuller,
it's a pressure gauge on a hose that threads into a sparkplug hole:-

https://www.google.ca/search?q=engi...2&ved=0CDsQsARqFQoTCPWa2Zn7-sgCFQKUHgodM1AHUg

Professional quality testers ain't cheap but all us shadetree mechanics need is a ~$30 el-cheapo from Harbor Freight or similar establishment.
To use, remove both plugs, thread the tester into each sparkplug hole in turn, kick or use e-start to turn the engine over ~10 turns with carbs either removed or held wide open.
150psi is great, 100psi is still redeable, less than 75? Dodgy.
Hey Fredintoon,

Thanks for the run down. Seems simple enough.

Hey Fuller!

I'm from York and work in Mechanicsburg. Looks like you have a project there for sure! These bikes are loads of fun when they are running right.

Back