New Member, looking for direction.

layinlow4

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Sup fellas, im new to the site. Been lurking for probably about 6 months now though. Looking to build a bobber in may when i finish school and i can work full time, and possibly afford something. I was just wondering if there are any complete ground-up build threads that you guys know of that are good.

Just looking to get a little insight on what i will be getting into. I want to do all the reading and educating i can now, before i begin.

Ive tried searching, but i dont really know what to search for to return any decent results.

Thanks for the great site, and abundant information, cant wait to tear into a project.

Thanks,
Chase

I've tried to look at a lot of different build threads while gathering info for my own project. I don't think you'll find too many that are more detailed than this one:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719041

It doesn't hurt that he turned out a beautiful bike and offers a number of parts now to other people working on projects.

You might want to look at username Bobber33 threads. He has built a couple of absolutely beautiful bikes, as well.

Good luck!

Best thing to do is get a bike and work on one piece at a time. No two bikes are the same. I would not suggest going out and buying a bunch of parts for a bike you don't have. You may not need them or may find them cheaper from someone on here.

Go get a manual from Haynes or Clymer and read, read, read. Get used to all the parts and how they work. As you read you'll notice you can't understand how something works. This is when you search for an answer on here. I'm serious, it really works. Start off with a good knowledge of these bikes. Worst thing people do is start tearing into a bike not knowing what is what.

I looked at a bunch of bikes and knew exactly what I wanted to do with it. HA, I was way off. If I would have bought the stuff I wanted to put on my bike first, I would be selling a bunch of stuff right now.There is no set way to build or a direct how-to. You might get a points bike or a TCI. A XS60B or a TX650. Knowing what is what makes a huge difference.

If there was a set how-to manual, every bike would look the same.

Welcome to the club!

Sweet, thanks fellas. and kent, i just read your entire thread right after i posted this, looking good so far. i really like that frame. def. going to subsrcibe to it.

i dont have all the tools ill need to to do the complete build myself, so i dont think im going to be able to do it on an extremely tight budget. ill prolly have to order a lot of things or pay some people to do some things. like the frame for example, i dont have a welder or a jig, so im either going to have to order a frame, or get someone to hardtail it for me.

The motor is what concerns me the most. i used to work in a body shop for 2 years, and ive had several project cars,so i feel like i have pretty basic knowledge, but ive never really done any internal motor work, and i want a solid, reliable motor, b/c i plan on riding a lot.

Def. going to read up on some of bobber 33s threads, both of the bikes hes built that ive seen are incredible. Ive book marked punkskalars thread def looks like a heap of info there. although its long as hell so i havent read a lot yet.

Also, i need to update my info. I'm from southern NC so if any of you know where i could find a bike at, or see any deals let me know, im going to start looking now and maybe by tax time try and pick up a donor bike. im just having a real hard time finding anything right now.

Another NC'er!

Some have pointed to my build thread, I take that as a compliment. If you need frame work in the Carolinas, I know a guy with a frame Jig and I also know a guy whos decent with these motors. Looks like you have nothing to worry about, find yourself a project, the rest will work itself out...

Hugh

There are a lot of very helpful people on here.
Save as much money as you can. Don't get crazy or fall in love with the first bike you see. Wait for it!! Do yourself a favor.

When you go to buy, if you saved money, you can get a bike that needs little work. Make sure everything is ok before you buy as well. Is the title completey clean? Does it have a great paint job, but the electric is shot? Make a good decision first. Take a day or two to wipe the lovers look off your face and think about what you need to get it on the road. That nice new cafe seat is cool, but cool is not sitting on the bike in your driveway going vroom, vroom.

I see you want to hardtail it. Have you ever ridin a hardtailed 650? I'm 5'5" and my knees at to far up on mine...and I don't have a hardtail.

I'm not trying to sway you, but just giving my advise. My bike looked great when I first bought it. I loved how it looked. How it rode was a different story.

Another NC'er!

Some have pointed to my build thread, I take that as a compliment. If you need frame work in the Carolinas, I know a guy with a frame Jig and I also know a guy whos decent with these motors. Looks like you have nothing to worry about, find yourself a project, the rest will work itself out...

Hugh

Sweet, glad to know you're from NC. Just starting to read your thread now(I have plenty of time today, off work, and snow day for school) What area are you located? and where are these frame and motor guys at?

There are a lot of very helpful people on here.
Save as much money as you can. Don't get crazy or fall in love with the first bike you see. Wait for it!! Do yourself a favor.

When you go to buy, if you saved money, you can get a bike that needs little work. Make sure everything is ok before you buy as well. Is the title completey clean? Does it have a great paint job, but the electric is shot? Make a good decision first. Take a day or two to wipe the lovers look off your face and think about what you need to get it on the road. That nice new cafe seat is cool, but cool is not sitting on the bike in your driveway going vroom, vroom.

I see you want to hardtail it. Have you ever ridin a hardtailed 650? I'm 5'5" and my knees at to far up on mine...and I don't have a hardtail.

I'm not trying to sway you, but just giving my advise. My bike looked great when I first bought it. I loved how it looked. How it rode was a different story.

Im 5'8" 135, not big by any means.
And i have never ridden a hardtail. I would love to do the bratstyle idea like this one
,but idk if i would have the resources or ability to pull something like that off. Thats prolly one of my favorite xs's period right there.

I can tell you now, if you can't weld or fabricate/nor have the tools, trying to build a bobber the first go'round will suck ass. Don't go crazy and build beyond your skill set or you usually end up with something for for the trash pile...ask guys how many bikes they pick up on craigs list with the ole "got in over my head" in the description.

It may take a few builds to get good. But in the end you may hold onto the bike for longer. my first XS i chopped was a mess...and i still regret it to this day. It did go to a reputable builder in my city who is now doing it properly..i went the resto mod route for this one instead and worked with what i knew how to do and the bike turned out great.

I tried to pay someone to do it, but i ended up not realizing how much owning a welder and being able to weld is crucial for being able to build bikes.

Last edited:
Frame and motor guys are all in my shop/basement :thumbsup:

http://hughshandbuilt.blogspot.com/

Dude, your work is sickkk... Def. going to get up with you as soon as i can get my hands on a bike. When im done with school, i will also only be about 3 hours away, my bro graduated from ASU.

Not that i would have the money now anyway, but i absolutely cannot find a bike anywhere close. Got any ideas on where i might find one?

sweet. went to subscribe to your thread, and i was already subscribed. guess i should check my email more often. looks like your off to a good start, cant wait to see it progress.

you can still do it for pretty cheap....You may want to consider taking a welding class... even you do take one you probably won't have the confidence to weld a hardtail on right off. I enrolled in a welding class this semester but I found a guy in town that has a jig and is a certified welder. He also has done three xs650 himself and has welded several hardtails on xs650's he will do mine for a hundred bucks....Anybody in the Austin area should check this guy out for some welding work....and anybody anywhere that is need of so awesome leatherwork.
http://workingmanscustoms.blogspot.com/
Keep on it you'll find people in your area that are into this and they will help you out. Build it the way you want.

Yes get a welder!!! But I wouldn't take a class. Just practice a lot..get some basic knowledge on how set it up.

he could atleast do things like bungs and whatnot with basic skills...maybe. Thats what i found the worst, you get the frame done, then you need tank mounts, fender mounts, seat mounts etc...but it's plan and work as you go/have parts for some of that.

Last edited:
Back