New Member with a couple of questions

molochnik

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,
Just signed up, and I'm hoping to get some clarified/updated information on PMAs.

I've gone through a number of pages of threads (maybe all of them?) looking at PMA content. There seems to be some conflicting opinions on whether some or any of them are worth using from a quality/durability perspective.

A lot of the threads seemed to be a couple years old, so I'm curious if there are good/better units out there now, or if there have been failures with any respectable brands and/or sources.

Secondly, has anyone actually bought a Morris mag for these bikes? If so, happy? Not happy?

I've recently dug my '81 back out of the barn and am currently getting it back into running shape. Fun bike; looking forward to riding it again.

Thanks!

Welcome molochnik---If your charging system and the ignition TCI is working you should probably just keep it. If you change to a PMA because you have a 1981 you also need to change your ignition system. With a good PMA system you need a genuine Yamaha Banshee rotor, a real Honda/Kawi stator, a real Mosfet type reg/rec, Banshee mounting plate. No Chinese crap. Then you need a pamco ign, E-advance and an advance rod with assorted bushings. Probably run you well over $500. Think about keeping your original stuff.
tim

Thanks timbeck! When I parked the bike I believe things were working fine. At least, I do have a clear memory of checking the charging output and it was 14.7 not far up from idle. A lot has happened to me since then so I can't be sure of any details, perhaps except for that :)
There is an awfully small battery in there, which I expected to see since I removed all the electric start monkey motion and plugged it when I went through the engine back around 2000.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that I did a "streettracker" job on it, so the bike was customized by me. It was a pretty intact but poorly maintained unit before I bought it in 2000.

So yes, it still has its TCI and stock charging system. I *may* have bought a new reg/rectifier for it back then, it looks like it's much younger than the rest of the bike. It's likely it's also stock, but haven't confirmed that yet.

I presume from your reply that the current offerings of PMA rotors out there are the Chinese crap folks are being warned about.

I'm seriously considering making this a track day bike, which is why I'm contemplating a mag and either going with a simpler, lighter charging system (peddlers of PMAs claim they're lighter) or perhaps leaving the alternator off completely to lighten the crank and bike. I think I can get away with something like a YTX9 if I want to run a constant loss lighting system should I want to go for a canyon run. Or perhaps I'll keep the stock charging system and leave the scooter battery that I must have put in there at some point.

I know, I know, mags are expensive and old school, but I do like them and I'm comfortable working with/on them. I think if they were another $20 though, I'd never buy one. I have considered going to an OEM points arrangement. The TCI makes me nervous.
The guys who grew up with points often consider the black boxes a godsend, but I've become dubious of them seeing many a bike die without warning. Just one thing that may make me a silly goose, but it's there.

Thanks for your advice!

Back