New old guy

bobadame

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Howdy, This is my first post here.
About a month ago a couple of my old bikes were stolen. they had been stashed in a shed since 1994 and I had pretty much forgotten about them. Anyway I discovered they were gone so I reported them stolen. Long story short, I got them back from the sheriffs dept. and I've been sitting and staring at this old 650 a lot lately. I think I'll do something with it this winter.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    134.2 KB · Views: 113
Always nice to see a 79 special II come back to life. Sure looks like you have the shop facilities, what are you thinking?

I'm thinking about using an 18" rear wheel to get away from the wannabe chopper look. Maybe remake the back part of the frame to clean up the lines a bit. Then a solo seat. A new tank possibly with chrome or polished stainless panels. Replace the front brake with a big double leading drum. Remove the center stand, the rear foot peg mounts and all the rest of the unused brackets. I'll grind and re-tig weld all of the welds. Make new fenders, the rear one bobbed with a reverse curve at the end. Desert sled type high pipes. I want this thing to look as simple as an old Mustang scooter but with tall skinny tires. I do like cafe bikes and bobbers and some choppers but not this one. When I ride this one it will be simply for the fun of riding it.

I'm thinking about using an 18" rear wheel to get away from the wannabe chopper look. Maybe remake the back part of the frame to clean up the lines a bit. Then a solo seat. A new tank possibly with chrome or polished stainless panels. Replace the front brake with a big double leading drum. Remove the center stand, the rear foot peg mounts and all the rest of the unused brackets. I'll grind and re-tig weld all of the welds. Make new fenders, the rear one bobbed with a reverse curve at the end. Desert sled type high pipes. I want this thing to look as simple as an old Mustang scooter but with tall skinny tires. I do like cafe bikes and bobbers and some choppers but not this one. When I ride this one it will be simply for the fun of riding it.

Sweet music to my ears bob. :thumbsup:
Welcome to the forum.
My next build will be somewhat like what you are describing. Think 60's motocross bike. :bike:

Inspirational picture:

Attachments

• yamaha_xs650_custom.jpg
    yamaha_xs650_custom.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 61
Back