New piston circlips........always?

BigBoreSwede

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi.

I put my pistons back on but then I saw this text in my manual. NEVER use old circlips. I´m fine with that but what´s the reson really? They came out......and in fine so why change them.

Never is written with large characters so I guess it´s important.....but why?

/BigBoreSwede

Attachments

• FB168795.JPG
    FB168795.JPG
    271.1 KB · Views: 137
  • FB178834.JPG
    FB178834.JPG
    229.2 KB · Views: 120
That's just a common engine rebuilding practice, don't know exactly why. Maybe because you could possibly damage or bend the originals during removal. They're cheap, I would just replace them. The replacements are better, easier to install/remove because they have an extended part on one end. You should have only removed 2 during teardown, the outer one on each piston, so you should only need 2 replacements.

Easiest method to reassemble is to insert the piston/rings into the bores first, then lower the jug w/ pistons down onto the rods and insert the pins. Don't put the pistons on the rods 1st and then try to fit the jugs down over them.

heat and age fatigue the clips and even though they come out easy and don't look damaged you are always better off replacing them ... VERY good insurance against having a wrist pin sliding out and gouging your cylinder wall and or locking up your engine

Nope......750 pistons was already there. Only reason I took my engine apart really was because of worn out camchain guides. Bike was running REALLY well and had good compression.

But you know how it is.......you find some things here and there when you take an engine apart. That´s why I have a whole bunch of threads out right now:laugh:

/BigBoreSwede

Back