New project for older veteran

ippytattoo

Just another grumpy old hack.
Reaction score
I am in the process of helping an older veteran get his xs chop back on the road and could use a little help locating a brake stay bolt for a mini drum front wheel. Anyone have any idea where to find one. Again this isn't mine, just trying to help out an older gentleman get back in the wind and he insists on his springer and mini drum.

mini drum.jpg

Have you tried contacting tc bros? They sell them and may have or can get parts.

Thinking out loud
The picture is small so take this carefully.
But You being in the USA there is virtually no chance it being anything else than an Inch bolt.
Of these there are not that many that are usual depending on where installed of Course )
But by the picture it looks as a bracket holding it in place And no reason really for a Fine thread
Depending on tool box content one could try bolts found in there .
I am not that familiar with Inch but I suppose it is as with metric that certain sizes is the " Normal " size.
3/8 3/4 and whatnot.
Taking one such bolt and by hand carefully test how it works.
I believe it could be possible to find a bolt to use. In house so to speak, For the XS650 it is so most times.
If it does not look or feels right I would take off another bolt there and check if it is metric or Inch
with a nut or one of these

https://se.rs-online.com/web/p/thread-gauges/3049193/?cm_mmc=SE-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-CSS_SE_EN_Test_&_Measurement_Whoop-_-(SE:Whoop!)+Thread+Gauges-_-3049193&matchtype=&aud-827186183686:pla-299944899096&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIzN6jve2v8QIV-wWiAx15jg3DEAYYASABEgIm9fD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited:
A pic of the bolt itself and some measurements would help a lot. If its an older mini drum you may have to make something.

A pic of the bolt itself and some measurements would help a lot. If its an older mini drum you may have to make something.

That isn't the wheel on the bike, it was just a reference photo I found on the internet of what appears to be the same wheel (Halcraft mini drum). I have no bolt to reference for dimensions or shape. I was figuring it was probably some kind of shoulder bolt, but not 100% sure, as the brake stay will need to pivot. The hole in the stay bar is quite a bit bigger than the threaded hole in the backing plate. Also the stay bar sits about 1/2" away from the backing plate so I assume there has to be some kind of spacer. I never dealt with a springer or mini drum before lol

prolly 5-6? different venders made spool brakes back in the day. RIP
they all would'a picked their own bolt size thread. like jan sez good chance it's SAE not metric. Anything more modern likely would be metric. :umm:

Here are pics of the actual wheel and the only markings I see on the rim

Attachments

• front wheel.jpg
    front wheel.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 88
  • stamping.jpg
    stamping.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 90
Back