New ride!

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today I went and put a deposit on my new to me ride (private sale). Will pick it up in a couple of weeks after the garage is done. 2019 Ducati Icon Scrambler. 803cc, air cooled, hydraulic slipper clutch, cornering ABS and it only has about 1300 miles on it. This is replacing the water buffalo. Pretty excited about it. Hopefully I’ll be able to put a few miles on it before the snow flies!

8702226E-C5CD-494A-9BDC-91EC86FB9531.jpeg
8A00DFAE-41C0-4754-B6A2-B3415BFA2F05.jpeg
372F9B5F-0136-46A8-A4FA-57D3260E07ED.jpeg
C50A99E0-582C-4E88-93F7-D55EA892D5D8.jpeg
CCC4AA3B-2EBA-485F-8D0E-F95D3F574DCA.jpeg
DF6D34C8-2EF7-4164-815E-3021424290FE.jpeg
CB56B41E-05CD-4BD3-BC47-ECDEA66D376B.jpeg

Today I went and put a deposit on my new to me ride (private sale). Will pick it up in a couple of weeks after the garage is done. 2019 Ducati Icon Scrambler. 803cc, air cooled, hydraulic slipper clutch, cornering ABS and it only has about 1300 miles on it. This is replacing the water buffalo. Pretty excited about it. Hopefully I’ll be able to put a few miles on it before the snow flies!

View attachment 228482View attachment 228483View attachment 228484View attachment 228485View attachment 228486View attachment 228487View attachment 228488

What a great bike! Congratulations! I’ve only ever ridden one Ducati, it was a Hypermotard and it was an absolute hoot! Such a great engine. Keep us posted and take some photos, when you go for a ride! 😃

What a great bike! Congratulations! I’ve only ever ridden one Ducati, it was a Hypermotard and it was an absolute hoot! Such a great engine. Keep us posted and take some photos, when you go for a ride! 😃
It’s not a rocket but has about 70hp at the wheel. I wanted something fairly light and with an upright riding position. Lots of good reviews on the bike, hope it’s a keeper. Lol.

I got its great..great grand daddy.. 450 Jupiter (1970)... had it nearly 40 years... :cool:
It was advertised as an " enduro "... street-dirt.. but the boys across the big pond did enduro better. A long time ago I rode the same bike in east africa. Now.. I cruise the lakes... the twisty roads in Wisconsin.. find a good slice of pie, cup of coffee... wave at the farmers. :cool:

Bosco - bought one a few years ago - had the weight down to 164 Kgs with 10 litres of petrol - had the termi and computer upgrade fitted from new - did a few cosmetic bits and pieces - was super reliable - stock suspension was completly rigid, no compliance at all - a solid piece of steel would have been a softer ride - it would kill you on a B grade road - being so light didnt help - fitted Ohlins on rear and Andreana Cartridges in the front forks ($$$$$) - helped a lot - enjoy yours - photo attached.

Attachments

• P1030117.JPG
    P1030117.JPG
    389.8 KB · Views: 43
164 kg fueled and 70+ rwhp must be on par with a seriously modified and lightened XS. And still dead reliable 😁 I have a 1995 M600, with moderate mods (light porting, slip ons, K&N in stock airbox, snorkels removed, a bit lightened) With Dynojet kit in stock carbs, it dynoed at 53 rwhp. Later I added a 680 kit (86 mm bore) and FCR 39 carbs. So it should be 55-58 rwhp (I hope) And it is actually fast enough for a spirited ride. So your lighter and more powerful Duc should be a blast !

Update on the Ducati…. Long read.

When I bought the bike, it only had one key. No biggie I thought, I’ll just have another one cut. Naive me didn’t realize this wasn’t the same as a 40+ year old bike that would use a conventional key. Turns out there’s a transponder in the key that is needed to deactivate the anti theft circuitry. I called the dealer and they said no problem. For $120.00 they would sell me a shiny new key.

Great I thought…. Then they told me I had to have the key cut. They advised they call in a mobile locksmith to do the “laser” cutting of the blank. How much is that I asked? $150 and up 😳. Well I thought I could find someone to do it for much less than that. I bought the key blank and started looking around for someone to cut the key. I learned quickly that to cut the key, the laser cutter needed the data in their program for a Ducati. Guess what, everyone had auto programs but none for motorcycles. After a long search and many km, I found a locksmith that cut it for me for a mere $60.00!

Now I need to get the key‘s transponder flashed to match the ecu on the bike. Sounded easy. The dealer said it was about 1/2 hour or $65.00. That will have to wait until the springrime because I need to take the bike in. Apparently they flash the ecu and keys to match one another. That seemed easy. But, the guy that cut my key warned me that if I ever lost both keys, I’d be looking at a new ecu because there’s a PIN imbedded in the ecu / key and once the keys are lost, the PIN becomes inaccessible. Then I would be looking at a new ecu and keys. He advised that was up to $3K from Ducati!😫. I thought no big deal because I had one good key.

I returned home with my new $180 key. Looking at the key, the cut on the new key looked nothing like the cut on the original. I noticed that at the locksmith and the guy said don’t worry it will be fine. Went to the garage and I immediately went to the bike and put the key in the ignition and thankfully it fit and turned on. But now the ecu was asking for a PIN because the transponder in the key hadn’t been flashed to the ecu yet. When I bought the bike, the po told me he hadn’t done anything with the programs or menus in the speedo. When I got the bike I set set time, date, units etc. It also appeared to want me to set the PIN but I said never mind, I’ll do that later. Well now seemed to be the time, so I went to set up the PIN. To my horror, one of the two po’s had set a PIN and nobody told me what it was!

Panic had now settled in as I remembered the locksmiths warning about losing keys, replacing ecu‘s etc. After thinking about this for a moment I thought I’d try easy codes like 1234, 4321, 0000. Each one I tried was met with a large red ‘ERROR’ across the screen. Time to worry again - I thought that probably, after a defined number of tries, the ecu would lock me out. I really didnt have much of a choice and thought I had the whole winter and I’d only have to try about 999 codes to find what was in there. I decided to start at 0001. I got ready to start the task and fat fingered me punched in 1000 instead of 0001. Darn, I’ll hit enter and start all over. Well guess what, the speedo head lit up like a Christmas tree - I found the code!🎉🎉🎉🎉

Now I could get into the program mode for resetting the PIN. Entered my new PIN and was able to do a temp emergency start with the new key!😀.

Next step is to wait until spring and get the keys and ecu flashed at the dealer. Maybe buying the Ducati will be a curse as some had warned. Lol.

Sorry for the long post but I had to share my victory!

E4F10DF0-EABD-4669-B45E-411890B8129C.jpeg

The reason almost all my bikes/cars are vintage.

We just recently bought a new car, the first one in 12 years. The old car was basic analog stuff, the new car is all whiz bang high tech, tons of defensive safety stuff ( which I’m ok with really ) but it has a digital LED dashboard, no traditional gauges and a touchscreen display for all sorts of stuff that I don’t really use. I was poking around under the hood and saw all kinds of black boxes with wiring bundles coming from them and a fuse box with what looked like about 30 fuses.
It all looked pretty intimidating. 😳 The car drives and rides really nice and gets pretty great fuel mileage, but I would’ve been happy with another basic analog car. :shrug:

For all the gadgets in New cars seem intimidating but it is nice to get hands free phone call while driving, play your own music (or podcast or online radio)from your phone and have a sweet little voice from nav reminding you to take exit 138 in 1 mile when you are traveling.

Back