New Springs-Now you got to load them?

Tim Meaders

Not just another Old man on a Harley!
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I finally got around to putting in some new front springs but I've run into an age problem getting the screw caps back on. I'm too weak
to push them down and turn them in at the same time. I recently moved and don't have a vice setup yet and I'm trying to do the install with
the forks in the tree. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has a process they've used.
Thanks

It is definitely easier to start fork plugs/ caps using a socket/ allen socket and a ratchet, than with an allen key or a regular spanner.

If you have an old fashioned carpenters drill crank (?), you could adapt a socket extension to it, and be able to push with your shoulder or chest, while turning it.
Alternatively use a socket crank extension, and make some kind of pad for the end, maybe from plywood or similar.
See attached pics of these two alternatives.

Attachments

• 10-527_xl_1.jpg
    10-527_xl_1.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 2185_01 (w515_h515_q70_u_p).jpg
    2185_01 (w515_h515_q70_u_p).jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
It is a pistol and those threads easily bunged up. Hint; the top triple bolts need to be loose.
Two people is useful.
What's a pistol? The carpenter's hand drill thingy? Or autocorrect for PITA?
I do know the Norwegian name for the tool, but have never heard the English name, so now just had to Google it.
Hand brace drill, apparently...

What's a pistol? The carpenter's hand drill thingy? Or autocorrect for PITA?
I do know the Norwegian name for the tool, but have never heard the English name, so now just had to Google it.
Hand brace drill, apparently...
An americanism for; son of a gun. ;^)
OK it means hard to do, or a real problem.

Thanks articXS and Gary. I hadn't thought of the upper tree nuts, I'll give that a whirl (pun).
If that fails I'll try the extra helper advice and see if I can get my helper (wife) in the garage.
That is a last resort though.

I rebuilt with the originals in 2017, those I could handle. The new springs don't have that 2-3mm sag from 36
years of being under load. I'm also 5 years older (medicare age) and probably not as strong.

What you need is one of these, a 3/8" drive T-handle, about $10 .....

T Handle.jpg

With it, you can easily push down and turn at the same time. This will also turn your entire socket set into T-handle wrenches, just like the real motorcycle mechanics use, lol.

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0159

Last edited:
problem getting the screw caps back on. I'm too weak...trying to do the install with the forks in the tree.
First use some thick gloves in case the real problem is parts pressing into your hands and making pain. Second, take the tubes off the forks -- it will let you apply power in various creative ways. Remember you only have to get the barest start on the threads and the rest is golden.

Remember you only have to get the barest start on the threads and the rest is golden.
Some XS models, RDs, and most likely other bikes have alloy top plugs in their forks. The threads on these are more likely to get damaged. So I would recommend to keep pressure on it at least a couple of turns.

^You'd run into the same problem taking it out, when the last dinky thread was holding it down
That's why you hold pressure down on 'em when you remove 'em too. As Arctic says, they're aluminum. The threads will disappear pretty easy.

Which models? Seems important to know.
Actually not sure, but I replaced the OEM steel plugs on my 77 D with international hex,with a pair of reproduction alloy plugs with external hex from Heiden Tuning. To save some weight, basically. So some models surely had alloy plugs. Both the 74 RD350A in my garage have alloy plugs, for sure. And a Suzuki GN125 I have been messing with. And all USD forks I have come across. OTH, the 82 XT250 have steel plugs retained by a round wire internal snap ring. Now THAT is a silly design ..

Back