New Springs-Now you got to load them?

the 82 XT250 have steel plugs retained by a round wire internal snap ring. Now THAT is a silly design ..
LOL. I wonder how it comes out. I had an '82(?) SR250 which is a street XT250 if I remember right. Same engine minus kickstart plus electric start. Lots of fun but only one cylinder was unnerving for being away from home

LOL. I wonder how it comes out. I had an '82(?) SR250 which is a street XT250 if I remember right. Same engine minus kickstart plus electric start. Lots of fun but only one cylinder was unnerving for being away from home
On the XT250, (the one that looks like a smaller, monoshocked XT500), you first remove the rubber caps, then use a hammer and a brass punch to loosen the steel plugs, then push/ hold them down, then remove the snap ring with a tiny screwdriver or a pick, then compress the fork until the steel plug is popped out by the spring. Very much an accountant type of design.....

I could tell by looking at it, since I got my new eyes. Was wondering which years... If mine's aluminum, have never really needed extraordinary measures

Back