New Tire Review,Avons vs Spitfires

XS650D

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Have had the Spitfires on now for 10,000 kilometres (Miles?) Thought they were ok but have
had Avon Road riders on my Previous bike (08 Sportster 1200) and Luved them!
Well after installing the Tires yesterday wasn't expecting too much of a difference but boy was I wrong.
I headed into the first corner which I have done thousands of times from my place and almost
lost it! The bike turned so quick and effortlessly I almost laid it down, just wasn't expecting a tire to make that much of a diff. Freaked my out really.I slowed it down some and tried to get used to the new way it handled.Totally different bike to ride in the corners now. More like a sport bike, plus as an added bonus
(which I already new) the tires DON,T follow groves or ruts in the pavement.They just track strait thru which
makes the bike ride smoother and I feel more confident.I think the side walls of these tires are much stiffer. Wet adhesion is excellent also.I don't see any negative to these tires, wait maybe one.They look kinda modern and sporty for this bike but I've gotten over it already! Just my 2cents Canadian funds LOL!

Yeah. New tires are a little slick from the release agent from the tire mold. Give it 50 miles or so.
The metzler 880 i put on a 2003 marauder after dunlops was unpredictable for 50 miles. Maybe i got used to? Or wore thim in enuf. Dunno

I used Spitfires for years, I liked the handling on my GL1200 and CB750C............until, I had a real bad rash of sidewall cracks on three different bikes with Spitfires less than 2 years from DOT manufacture dates. These were real deep nasty cracks. I'm buying strictly Shinkos now, 712s and Tour Masters, they handle just like the Spitfires.

Scott

Update: Still luvin these new skins! Really changed the riding and handling characteristics of the bike for the better.
I emailed Avon regarding air pressures for this modern rubber and there telling me 36 psi front and rear.(Wow! seems high)
I am currently testing and running 34 psi in both as I only weight 150lbs and that seems to work well, may try 36 later. Theres no sidewall flex in these
tires and they grip like a cat on a screen door.Not sure how long they last or if I care as I only ride 2000 k a year.
I don't think I will look any further at other brands. I have my suspension set fairly soft front and rear for my weight and the bike rides nice but
was previously thinking of going slightly stiffer on springs for a tighter and more performance tuned ride.BUT with the new Avons and stiffer side walls
its a nice trade off and will be keeping the current settings.The more I fix and tune this bike, the more it feels like riding an old Ducati.
Starting to fine tune the whole bike now that the big issues are solved.

I wouldn't have any love for tires that almost made me crash all by themselves.

Back