New to forum and xs bikes need help figuring out what I have

douglife683

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
hello everyone
I'm new here I tried to do some searching around before asking and I'm not finding anything

A little about me..over the past few months I've been looking for a xs to turn into a bobber over the winter in my garage..long story short I found a bike on craigslist that was already hard tailed and wired up blah blah Talked the guy down to the point that it was about the price of a tc kit and paying someone to weld it on..cheap.

It need work still for sure and I'm pretty sure it came with a donor title :banghead: (not too worried about that though) it just makes it hard to identify what I actually even have..it was listed as a xs650 and looks like one
Only markings I can find are on steer tube and engine 371004188..that's it. Atleast all I can find

I'll post a pic of this mess lol

Again..hi..thanks for any info and I'm sure I will have a lot more questions during this build

Attachments

• IMG_0646.JPG
    IMG_0646.JPG
    365 KB · Views: 140
I know these bikes thats how.................There will be some crossover parts like the front brake caliper and maybe the rotor, the motor is completely different than the XS and as far as i know there isn't anything that will relate to an XS650.............There isn't an aftermarket parts supply for the TX/XS500 like the XS650.

You can cross reference parts here......http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/parts.html ......Find a part no and click onto it and it will show you any other year or models the parts will interchange with.

I'm just curious on if you know the engine code I provided or if you're just looking at the picture and seeing something..I understand that if it's a 500 most of the engine parts will not be interchangeable I find it hard to believe that with the hardtail that other rear wheels and everything won't be able to be made work and I'm sure a lot of wiring and general yamaha bobber questions can be answered here..the only list I could find that had codes starting with 371 listed atleast 3 different bikes next to it between 500 550 and 650 sizes

Click on skull's link then compare clutch covers and top end. The frame motor mounts, axle size and spacing are two area that would make swapping parts hard. But if you are a fabricater or black smith it would be small steps.

I bet he could find a XS650 engine on here to swap that 500 out with.... I dunno if the motor mount holes would fit but it is a Build after all
and modifications do have to be made from time to time..... it's a thought
Bob........

Yes, the 500 isn't a very popular bike and very little of the mechanical info here will apply. I consider them a good parts donor for the 650 though, mostly for accessory stuff like turn signals, switch gear, wiring harness, etc. I personally stripped and scraped 3 of them so far, lol. I don't know if you're familiar with Empire Cycles down near Orchard Park, but he has a little bike bone yard out behind the shop. That's where the remnants of these three 500s now reside. Could be a good source of spare motor parts if you need any. Here's the last one I carted over there about a month ago .....

9VfGt9u.jpg

hello everyone
I'm new here I tried to do some searching around before asking and I'm not finding anything

A little about me..over the past few months I've been looking for a xs to turn into a bobber over the winter in my garage..long story short I found a bike on craigslist that was already hard tailed and wired up blah blah Talked the guy down to the point that it was about the price of a tc kit and paying someone to weld it on..cheap.

It need work still for sure and I'm pretty sure it came with a donor title :banghead: (not too worried about that though) it just makes it hard to identify what I actually even have..it was listed as a xs650 and looks like one
Only markings I can find are on steer tube and engine 371004188..that's it. Atleast all I can find

I'll post a pic of this mess lol

Again..hi..thanks for any info and I'm sure I will have a lot more questions during this build
Good looking bike though.

Back