New to the Forum

Frank Henry

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello to everyone. I would like very much to join this forum as I am in need of some good advise. I have a 650 SF (1979). I had bought this many years ago. At that time, it was running but not very well. I intended to work on it but as things happen beyond our control, I just couldn't get to it. It had 9362 miles on the clock. I had put it up for sale but it wouldn't sell at $295. I decided to keep it and try to get it running. As I'm an old git, I've worked on cars and bikes for a long time (back in the '60's). I should say first off that the engine will crank using the kick start so it's not frozen. I have rebuilt carbs before so I'm no stranger to that. I know I'll have to check the gas tank out to see if it leaks. But the reason I'm on this forum now is that it's been a long time since I done this work and I should probably get a list of things to check and work on so I don't miss anything. Things I'm not sure about such as should the bearings in the wheels be replaced or repacked. Also, I used to clean the carbs by soaking them and scrubbing them but I've recently bought an Ultrasonic cleaner but never used it yet. Has anyone cleaned their carbs in one of these? I don't know what's best for the pitting on the metal. Do people get these re-chromed or just clean them? And I can't find the side covers. Replacing the tires is a given. Any and all advise is much appreciated. Thank You ahead of time.
IMG_3550.JPG
IMG_3551.JPG
IMG_3552.JPG
IMG_3553.JPG
IMG_3554.JPG
IMG_3557.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG
I'll see if I can post some pictures.............Frankie

Welcome!

Cleaning carbs in the ultrasonic cleaners is pretty effective. I still completely disassemble them and remove all jets and fuel screws, but the solution doesn't adversely affect rubber parts like the old acids. I use a solution of deionized water and Aircraft Simple Green in a 3:1 mix with the heat at 40 degrees centigrade for 30 minutes. Then blow through all passages.
1691636347876.png

Welcome aboard!
9K on the speedo seems to be the mileage seen on lots of these bikes that were advertised as 'ran when parked' in their sales add - and also around the mileage to when the stator brushes are getting below their wear limit.
You might get real lucky that the bike was maintained in oil changes at least but that was about it.
Garden State. I almost miss that New Jersey soil........
Again, welcome aboard, you're on the right ship.

Last edited:
Hi Frank, welcome to the forum, looks like your XS is all there so you have a great starting point. BTW, we're mostly old gits hereabouts. Follow the links @Jim suggested, ask questions, post photos and try to enjoy the process of resurrecting the bike. Obv, you'll need to fit new tyres. And IMO get rid of the banana seat.

One to watch with interest. Cheers, Raymond

Good luck getting this up and running again.

Kind of a shame the low miles some of these bikes can have on them! That said I should take a look at the two XS650's out in the garage! I know I have two Sportsters one a 1988 with over 117,000 that I bought new and a 1992 with over 45,000 that had 16,000 on it when I bought it in 2009.

If you have an ultrasonic cleaner use that for your carbs, I've cleaned a lot of carbs, I go higher on the temperature than jpdvol state above (as high as 70 deg C) have not found it damaging anything. As a matter of fact i clean as much as possible in the ultrasonic cleaner after i have gotten the worst grime off. I also use vapor honing (mostly glass beads) and then back in the cleaner to ensure no beads are hiding in small channels -:)
good luck

Hi Frank, welcome to the forum, looks like your XS is all there so you have a great starting point. BTW, we're mostly old gits hereabouts. Follow the links @Jim suggested, ask questions, post photos and try to enjoy the process of resurrecting the bike. Obv, you'll need to fit new tyres. And IMO get rid of the banana seat.

One to watch with interest. Cheers, Raymond
Thanks, Raymond. I belong to another forum, ZRoadster.org. Made many great friends from the UK on that forum. Went over there to visit them twice. One of the members, a sheep rancher from Wales, flew over to Philly where I picked him up and then we both flew to LA to pick up a Z3///M that I had bought and we both drove it back to Jersey. Had a great time stopping at the Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Las Vegas and Nashville. One of the forum members remarked to me: "I live in Jersey, you live in NEW Jersey!" I'll follow the advice of the members about getting the bike back in shape. What seat would you recommend? Can I buy one that will fit out of the box? Or is it a kit that you buy the frame and recover it yourself? Frankie

Last edited:
If you have an ultrasonic cleaner use that for your carbs, I've cleaned a lot of carbs, I go higher on the temperature than jpdvol state above (as high as 70 deg C) have not found it damaging anything. As a matter of fact i clean as much as possible in the ultrasonic cleaner after i have gotten the worst grime off. I also use vapor honing (mostly glass beads) and then back in the cleaner to ensure no beads are hiding in small channels -:)
good luck
Thanks for the advice. I have to look up vapor honing as this is the first time I ever heard of it. Can you do this at home or do you have to go somewhere to have it done? Perhaps you can advise me on the pitting on the chrome. I would think there are 3 options, clean it the best you can, have it re-chromed, or buy a new replacement. What do you think? Frankie PS. I just got the ultrasonic cleaner and never used it yet. Do you find it works better if you use an added solvent or solution to the water? Frankie

Last edited:
Welcome!

Cleaning carbs in the ultrasonic cleaners is pretty effective. I still completely disassemble them and remove all jets and fuel screws, but the solution doesn't adversely affect rubber parts like the old acids. I use a solution of deionized water and Aircraft Simple Green in a 3:1 mix with the heat at 40 degrees centigrade for 30 minutes. Then blow through all passages.
View attachment 248829
Thanks for that advice on using this with the water in the cleaner. I was asking another member about this but I see you have already answered my question. Where do you buy this?..........frankie

Thanks for the advice. I have to look up vapor honing as this is the first time I ever heard of it. Can you do this at home or do you have to go somewhere to have it done? Perhaps you can advise me on the pitting on the chrome. I would think there are 3 options, clean it the best you can, have it re-chromed, or buy a new replacement. What do you think? Frankie PS. I just got the ultrasonic cleaner and never used it yet. Do you find it works better if you use an added solvent or solution to the water? Frankie
I started a thread on rusty chrome some time ago.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/phosphoric-acid-for-rust-on-chrome-parts.58237/

Yes it can be done at home - great tool to get old alu parts to look preset again, it removes oxidation etc. Some I leave with a silk finish other I buff up after the initial clean off. I use a Vapor home bench top 450, you need a good air compressor though. Tried with a smaller unit but couldn’t get it to the level I liked and I couldn’t get larger parts in it either
Here’s a link where I bought mine
https://vaporhoningtechnologies.com/bench-top-vapor-hone-450-wet-blasting-equipment/
If I have to clean paint of parts I may use alu oxide or a mix of alu oxide and glass beats. The glass beats will not take any material off.
Attached a few examples of before and after Vapor honing

Attachments

• IMG_2522.jpeg
    IMG_2522.jpeg
    364.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2516.jpeg
    IMG_2516.jpeg
    437.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_2517.jpeg
    IMG_2517.jpeg
    288.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_9447.jpeg
    IMG_9447.jpeg
    293.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_9445.jpeg
    IMG_9445.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9443.jpeg
    IMG_9443.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9444.jpeg
    IMG_9444.jpeg
    313.2 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2510.jpeg
    IMG_2510.jpeg
    363.7 KB · Views: 41
. . . What seat would you recommend? Can I buy one that will fit out of the box? Or is it a kit that you buy the frame and recover it yourself? . . .
Hi Frankie, your bike is an SR? In my ignorance I'll say that any seat from a Special will fit but I'm certain that people will correct me on that. It depends on the fitment, hinge position, etc. Don't think you'll find a new one, best bet would be classifieds but the good news is you'll probably find a seat to fit, might have to recover it depending on condition, quicker than you'll find the side panels. Good luck, Raymond

Last edited:
Hi Frankie, your bike is an SR? In my ignorance I'll say that any seat from a Special will fit but I'm certain certain that people will correct me on that. It depends on the fitment, hinge position, etc. Don't think you'll find a new one, best bet would be classifieds but the good news is you'll probably find a seat to fit, might have to recover it depending on condition, quicker than you'll find the side panels. Good luck, Raymond
Your seat is compatible only with 1978 or 1979 Special. 1980 Special II as well, but you really have to know for sure what you’re looking for.

Texavina has new seats for your bike.

Back