New to the Forum

Yes it can be done at home - great tool to get old alu parts to look preset again, it removes oxidation etc. Some I leave with a silk finish other I buff up after the initial clean off. I use a Vapor home bench top 450, you need a good air compressor though. Tried with a smaller unit but couldn’t get it to the level I liked and I couldn’t get larger parts in it either
Here’s a link where I bought mine
https://vaporhoningtechnologies.com/bench-top-vapor-hone-450-wet-blasting-equipment/
If I have to clean paint of parts I may use alu oxide or a mix of alu oxide and glass beats. The glass beats will not take any material off.
Attached a few examples of before and after Vapor honing
I realize what you're talking about now. I looked on the site you posted. They're now cheep. I had the occasion to buy one that was a great price from someone that was closing a business. I was always sorry I didn't get it. ............Frankie

Thanks. I went to that site and also saw this....(I took a screen shot of the page....let's see if I can bring it up....
Screenshot (47).png

What do you think about this? Have you ever used it?............Frankie

I realize what you're talking about now. I looked on the site you posted. They're now cheep. I had the occasion to buy one that was a great price from someone that was closing a business. I was always sorry I didn't get it. ............Frankie
They do come on sale now and then - like once a year - and it’s often to a greatly reduced price - something like 40% off, problem is to be lucky enough to check the website when it’s on sale. I think they have a mailing list where they update on new products etc., that’s how I eventually upgraded to this one - plus they bought my old micro vapor honer back at full price - I would however not recommend that cabinet - it’s to small and doesn’t do the job well enough.

Thanks. I went to that site and also saw this....(I took a screen shot of the page....let's see if I can bring it up....View attachment 248874

What do you think about this? Have you ever used it?............Frankie
I haven't tried it, but might; it looks very specifically suited to our use - the Aircraft Simple Green has been working well:shrug:

I haven't tried it, but might; it looks very specifically suited to our use - the Aircraft Simple Green has been working well:shrug:
Don’t waste money at the “soap” claimed to be designed for ultrasonic cleaners - it’s just an upmarket way to charge you more for more or less the same product. The only thing to look out for is that whatever cleaning media you use don’t harm your metal part and plastic if you throw that in too. I even clean old wire harness and other electronics in the ultra sonic cleaner - they come out pretty much like new.

So Niels, what do you use in the ultrasonic cleaner? I just got one but haven't used it yet. I'm trying to figure out what to put in it for a cleaning fluid. JP's deionized water was a first for me, never heard of that stuff. Luckily, I have a dehumidifier so can make my own, lol.

I've always used heavy duty Pine-Sol, straight, heated up by the ultrasonic cleaner....works like a charm every time.

Doesn't discolor or corrode, can run as many cycles as you need and simple hot water rinse. 👍

So, you add no water? And speaking of which, does it have to be deionized or distilled, what's wrong with tap water?

I use simple green as attached, have also used the extreme, as well as dish soap. Always deluted 3:1 or even 4:1 - I use filtered/purified water.
My experience is all the soap work more or less the same, what really does the job is the ultrasonic power and heating power, mine run 480W cleaning power and 600W heating power. It’s a 30L so I can fit pretty large pieces - even cylinder top and side covers etc. it can run up to 80C on the temp. So far I’m pretty happy with it. ( when it was new I spend money on ultrasonic carb cleaner but I could t tell it made a difference - except on my wallet :) )

Attachments

• IMG_2989.jpeg
    IMG_2989.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 32
I use simple green as attached, have also used the extreme, as well as dish soap. Always deluted 3:1 or even 4:1 - I use filtered/purified water.
My experience is all the soap work more or less the same, what really does the job is the ultrasonic power and heating power, mine run 480W cleaning power and 600W heating power. It’s a 30L so I can fit pretty large pieces - even cylinder top and side covers etc. it can run up to 80C on the temp. So far I’m pretty happy with it. ( when it was new I spend money on ultrasonic carb cleaner but I could t tell it made a difference - except on my wallet :) )
Niels, this is the one I just bought a few months ago. It is used. On e-bay, they wanted $259.00 for it or best offer. It was on e-bay for a few weeks and I figured the guy was in a selling mode so I offered him $150 and he took it. It's 6 L. Lets see if I can transfer a pic of it...

SoHome Digital Thermostat Stainless Steel Ultrasonic Cleaner 6L Cleaning Machine $150.00

1691717398680.png

I had been looking at someone using this same model on u-tube cleaning a carb and I thought I would be better off using on of these instead of scrubbing and soaking by hand

Niels, this is the one I just bought a few months ago. It is used. On e-bay, they wanted $259.00 for it or best offer. It was on e-bay for a few weeks and I figured the guy was in a selling mode so I offered him $150 and he took it. It's 6 L. Lets see if I can transfer a pic of it...

SoHome Digital Thermostat Stainless Steel Ultrasonic Cleaner 6L Cleaning Machine $150.00

View attachment 248906
I had been looking at someone using this same model on u-tube cleaning a carb and I thought I would be better off using on of these instead of scrubbing and soaking by hand
That is the same cleaner I bought a few months ago, 6L. Day or two after it arrived, e-mail from ebay.co.uk telling me the unit does not meet UK/EC safety regs therefore I should cancel my order and get my refund. However, if I have the item (doh) I must NOT use it and may NOT try to sell it on ebay or anywhere else. So I thought WTF am I supposed to do with the bloody thing - too late to cancel, cannot sell.

Well, I've got it now, can't send it back, probably only fails to meet regs on some technicality which I suspect is to do with the earthing. So I've used it a few times now. I mean, c'mon, not going leave it running overnight unattended, am I?

Also bought this:

PICT0424.JPG

So I fill the cleaner with hot water from the kettle, add maybe 10% of the fluid and give carb parts about twenty minutes of ultrasound which seems to loosen up the dirt effectively. Afterwards, rinse with warm water and use cloths & old toothbrushes to clean the loosened dirt.

You can use a new toothbrush if yer rich or obsessive . . .

Last edited:
That is the same cleaner I bought a few months ago, 6L. Day or two after it arrived, e-mail from ebay.co.uk telling me the unit does not meet UK/EC safety regs therefore I should cancel my order and get my refund. However, if I have the item (doh) I must NOT use it and may NOT try to sell it on ebay or anywhere else. So I thought WTF am I supposed to do with the bloody thing - too late to cancel, cannot sell.

Well, I've got it now, can't send it back, probably only fails to meet regs on some technicality which I suspect is to do with the earthing. So I've used it a few times now. I mean, c'mon, not going leave it running overnight unattended, am I?

Also bought this:

View attachment 248918

So I fill the cleaner with hot water from the kettle, add maybe 10% of the fluid and give carb parts about twenty minutes of ultrasound which seems to loosen up the dirt effectively. Afterwards, rinse with warm water and use cloths & old toothbrushes to clean the loosened dirt.

You can use a new toothbrush if yer rich or obsessive . . .
I'd probably still use the same one I'm brushing my teeth with. Soooo.........were you happy with the end result? Was it worth it? Aside from the regs it didn't meet, would you buy it again? Were you impressed with the results?...............Frankie

So Niels, what do you use in the ultrasonic cleaner? I just got one but haven't used it yet. I'm trying to figure out what to put in it for a cleaning fluid. JP's deionized water was a first for me, never heard of that stuff. Luckily, I have a dehumidifier so can make my own, lol.
Good tip on the water. I run two dehumidifiers and generate about 2 gallons of water per day. I’ll have to save some for the car’s cooling system. Difference between deionized and distilled water?

Technically, I believe there is a distinction made but only due to how they're produced - in practical terms, I just think of either as pure water clean of chemicals.
It’s in the method it’s purified

Deionized (DI) water is water that has been treated to remove all ions – typically, that means all of the dissolved mineral salts. Distilled water has been boiled so that it evaporates and then re-condensed, leaving most impurities behind.
In short you should be good either way

Back