New to forum from Ontario, Canada

XS650Darkside

XS650Darkside
Reaction score
Signed up a month or so ago, and have been lurking and reading many threads on the XS650, project builds, and general modifications to this great bike.

Recently picked up a 79 frame with YZF rear swingarm (now with conventional shocks, and an 81 Special engine with all the electronics. Have just ordered and will pick up Saturday a 96 GSXR up side down front end complete with brakes, wheel, bars controls, etc. Just missing master cylinder and brake lines to complete.
Read several threads about front end swaps that will be a great guide for this conversion. Sounds like only a few mm off the bottom of the neck, and the correct bearings and should be good to go. (sounds so easy, but never is).

Plan on building a cafe racer style, with some modern suspension, electronic dash, along with a few other modern bits to make it handle and perform like a more modern version.

Will post some pics as things progress. Any and all advise on the front end swap will be welcome. Seems to be some really talented builders here. I am looking forward to participating and contributing the the wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Brian

Attachments

• XS650 Yamaha 031.jpg
    XS650 Yamaha 031.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 91
  • XS650 Yamaha 039.jpg
    XS650 Yamaha 039.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Can't wait to see the build! Welcome, the guys on here are great and full of knowledge. I don't think I would be riding my cafe yet if it wasn't for all the information and help I received here.

Members from Ontario are poping up all over the place. Nice to have some people in my neck of the woods. Welcome aboard. I am planning on either a modern sportbike fron end or a 2 to 4 under springer on mine. I haven't made up my mind yet. Keep us posted on your project!!!

I have already done a mono shock conversion on my swing arm using a donor shock from a CBR600RR.

The guy I picked up my bike from has a chrome springer front end for sale. I think he said either $400 or $500. He also has a chopper style frame (solid rear) that is set up for the XS650 engine. His name is Justin and you can get him at seven 0 five -three four five-2626. He is usually pretty firm on his pricing from my experience with him, but a really nice guy. He works odd shifts, so leave a message if you do not get him. He also lives in Barrie.
Brian

Back