New to XS650

timmyc

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello to all! I have begun the task of my cafe build. I don't have a garage sooo... into the basement goes the bike for the winter:) I have been reading the posts on rephasing and will be exploring this as the project progress's. The bike is pretty ruff but all the good stuff is there.
Thx!

Tim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 149
Welcome to the site. Hope you have a title for it. Where is the good stuff? Hidden under the tarp. :laugh: Just kidding. Looks like you have your work cut out for you. :thumbsup:

Welcome in, looks like a 73? Yeah shes a bit rough all right, does the engine turn? Any water in the crankcase?

Yes it very ruff! The engine turns over and has great compression. I am in the process of buying a complete front end from a 07 R6 to replace the chopper front end. I carefully measured both the new and old I think the disks will be the hardest parts to adapt. Has anyone found a hub (for a spoked wheel) that is easy to mount the R6 disks?

Unlikely, but you can get bearings with a larger ID to fit. I managed to get some for my R1 fork spindle, I THINK they were off a Suzuki or something. Just go to any bearing supplier with the std outer diameter and width of the OG bearings, and the larger(the R1's were 22mm ID) ID, they are about, and cheap too.

Easy swap, that's the easy bit for those forks!

Unlikely, but you can get bearings with a larger ID to fit. I managed to get some for my R1 fork spindle, I THINK they were off a Suzuki or something. Just go to any bearing supplier with the std outer diameter and width of the OG bearings, and the larger(the R1's were 22mm ID) ID, they are about, and cheap too.

Easy swap, that's the easy bit for those forks!
Thanks! I had thought of re-sizing the bearings to solve the size deference in the axles, but the mount for the disks is about twice the diameter as the original (I can sent pics later). Are there others years with a smaller mount? Thx!

Thanks! I had thought of re-sizing the bearings to solve the size deference in the axles, but the mount for the disks is about twice the diameter as the original (I can sent pics later). Are there others years with a smaller mount? Thx!

The easiest will be to go with a bigger disc and the fork's calipers at the least. Or get some brembo's and make a spacer/mount for them. also look out if you go with spokes, the calipers tend to touch, alloys seem to be fine

Back