New to xs650s, but ready to build

Jester1341

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Always liked the look of these bikes and finally decided to start a build. I want to build a mono-shocker and got a frame to start with. While I was looking for an engine local I stumbled across a pair of '83 xs650s and picked them up for 400 bucks

Pretty sure the guy didn't know what he had, but they will be appreciated now:thumbsup:

Have a few pictures but they are jpegs from my phone, have to post them tomorrow.

John

Pretty dirty but mostly there. No keys but one has good compression the other needs the kick starter freed. He told me it was seized, what he meant was the kick starter is stuck closed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.6 KB · Views: 268
Hi John and welcome,
seems you fell into the manure pile and came out smelling of roses, eh?

Hi John,
cute li' chain, eh?
Suitable as a leash for a medium sized dog but not for a Rottweiler.
My bike has been carrying one unused since new.
If you had the bike's ignition key it'd fit that chain's lock too.

Black one's an 82 and chrome one an 83, Good score as everything will interchange.

I bought one of those chains as a novelty and as much as it wont stop a committed thief it will stop an opportunist. I like having the original stuff like the tool kit as well and there isn't much that cannot be done on the bike with it

I just got them home this morning so I haven't looked into them very much. I was told they were both '83s. How can you tell from looking, is it the fenders?

I don't know very much about these bikes yet but very interested to learn all I can. Post '79 should be same engine/ignition right?

John

Yea 80 and later had a Factory Electronic ignition, (TCI), and the 82J and 83K were branded heritage Specials with the 16" rear 48 spoke wheel and the 19" front 64 spoke wheel.

Check the Motor no's match the frame no's, the 82 and 83 had the engine blacked out with the fin edges polished alloy and the Tappet covers were polished alloy as well so were the engine side-covers. Your 83 engine doesn't show this but it could have been cleaned off, hence the check the engine no advice, could make a minimal as in minimal difference as long as it is a TCI ignition engine

82 Came out with the Black Chrome

ID sticker on the neck will have a bloody long bunch of letters and digits and i think it will start with... JAY ...and in that lot there will be a 5V4-000101, and not necessarily in that order, your no will be any thing above that no. The Vin no is also stamped on the neck usually just on the right side, (sitting on bike).
full

83 reverted back to chrome but the engine stayed the same as 82 and the Vin no's started from 5V4-100101. Same conglomeration as above.

Attachments

• IMG_20130919_105321_914.jpg
    IMG_20130919_105321_914.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 264
Fantastic amount of knowledge there, I will investigate the vins and dates more. One bike has 10k and the other has 30-40k. One has a title(don't even know which yet). I'm not a big fan of the wheels, I prefer the mag wheels.

I'm pretty sure that's why I got them so cheap, the guy had them listed as Yamaha heritage specials, the ad had no mention of XS650 anywhere. Had to be the only way they lasted over a week on CL.

John

Great score on the 'sleeper' CL ad! Sometimes ya luck out. Good price too as titled frames seem to be fetching around three hundred these days.
Don't discount those rims too soon, highly desireable by many and like a few more items on those bikes are a two-year-only production.....the rear drum mag was a one year only production in the states....1981.....so they're a bit mo' rare.
Welcome aboard!

Very cool, build. I have seen that one before but I don't know that I've seen that thread. I am very interested in the layout of the upper shock mount and such. His swingarm looks similar to mine, but a little different. I have and am planning to use an XT200 swingarm, although at this early stage it looks like the shock will be too long, but I am still disassembling the bikes.

John

Hi John,
FWIW, my Canadian '84 Heritage Special came with blacked out head & barrels but the black paint has faded over time to look just about the same as yours so your motor could well be the original.
The engine serial ID will tell you for sure.

Back