New XS Brat Build -- Counterbalance Motorcycles

I would check the the clearance on the rear fender. It might be a problem when you hit bumps in the road and and the shock compresses.

If you want a tight clearance, you'll probably want to bolt it with the swingarm, that way it will travel with the rear end!

Sweet build so far!

Well after busting up my finger things have gone a little slower than i hoped... Finally got some friends over to help me a hand lifting the motor. Got the motor bolted up. Started making a lower mount for my rear fender. Bent up some round stock and got out my baby torch. Bent it over and welded some bungs from Lowbrow onto it. Turned out pretty good... and seems pretty sturdy. Although no one will ever see it again...

Should be ready to ride real soon... gonna get it together rough and ride the shit out of it before it snows... then tear down and paint...

Shocks are def too short... but i have a set of 11.5" shocks waiting to go on... that should give me a little more room... plus they are the super stiff monza shocks that mikes sells...

Sorry for the gore... safety first then teamwork.....

photo(2).jpg

+Yami+2001.jpg

Yami+2002.jpg

Yami+2003.jpg

Yami+2004.jpg

Yami+2005.jpg

Yami+2006.jpg

Yami+2007.jpg

Yami+2008.jpg

Well been kinda quiet with my gimp hand for a while... but i took my stitches out the other day and have been able to turn wrenches without too much pain...

Yami+305.jpg

I got the shocks im planning on using and shortened the 11.5" shocks a little to about 11" to give me more clearance on the rear end. Also removed the dust covers on the shocks so they dont look so fat....

Yami+301.jpg

Got into the wiring harness while my finger was tied up... got everything wired and brought the bike down to the loading dock to fire it up... bike started right up! Good news...

Yami+302.jpg

Then i scavenged some side pipes off of one of my other xs's and spun some aluminum exhaust tips for them... also spun some new xs footpegs on the lathe that im planning on selling if anyone interested... turning out pretty nice so far...

Yami+304.jpg

Seat is at the upholstery man now, and should be ready either tonight or tomorrow... should be cruisin around by this weekend... !

Its comming along great, keep it up!
Show us a close up of those home brew pegs.
You will regret selling the lathe if it is in good condition of'course.

Cheers
Lester

ill get some pics up this afternoon when i get outta work.

Not planning on getting rid of lathe... just some sets of pegs...

Aha.... I misread.. my bad....LOL.... Language barrier thing.

I love my old lathe, cann't live with out it. :thumbsup:

Replaced the transmission sprocket with an 18t. Makes cruising around town and highway speeds much better...

Yami+401.jpg

Here is the final seat after being covered. Now that i look at it im afraid it looks a little too modern with the perf pattern... thoughts?

Yami+402.jpg

Here are the shop cats that keep me company most of the time im working...

Cats+201.jpg

New rear tire!

Yami+403.jpg

Yami+404.jpg

Yami+405.jpg

Yami+406.jpg

Yami+407.jpg

Yami+408.jpg

Still have quite a bit to do before i can paint it. Been riding it quite a bit on some shakedown runs and everything is holding up really well... Still need to shave the frame in a few more spots... Rewire everything, mount the coil properly, make a sissy bar to hold the tail and license.

Any thoughts on a sissy? I kind of like the way it sits now minus the side mount plate... I really want the plate vertical and have the tail mounted above it.

MMMMMMMMMMMM!! Keep it like it is, or send it to me!!!!:D

I like the "raw" look with the patina and bare metal! DON'T PAINT IT!!!!!:bike:

How about a mudguard bracket that goes just high enough to mount the plate and light, but not that high that it looks like a sissy bar?

Keep it up man, I'm loving it!!:thumbsup:

Haha thanks... Def came together fast... But I had a running motor swapped from another bike with round slides and a pamco. Then found the deal on the tank and headlight. had to order a few new parts, but had just enough yamaha stuff laying around to get it on the road.... Getting hurt actually got it done faster because I couldn't ride for a good week... Stitches on my throttle hand... Heh

I like the look now but I think I def wanna pair it... Gonna do a sweet metallic to metal flake fade with just a basic ribbon design.../stripes...

Have another bike that is raw already so gotta try something different...

Been ridin the shit out of it today... Running great. Ha to re route the throttle cables and tighten/adjust some stuff, but no real issues...

What material is that seat made off? Ive been looking for a good product for seats and that looks pretty easy to shape.

the bike looks great! you are certainly capturing the style. i would like to see a more interesting headlight. there are lots of small old lights floating around out there. something unique. just my 2 cents!

Thanks! Been thinking about findin a cool light:.. They are easy enough to swap out....

Seat is just covered in vinyl.... But I shaped the seat out of some yoga mat foam.. Just cut out layers and glued them together with some upholstery adhesive... Works great... Pretty comfy

Thanks! Been thinking about findin a cool light:.. They are easy enough to swap out....

Seat is just covered in vinyl.... But I shaped the seat out of some yoga mat foam.. Just cut out layers and glued them together with some upholstery adhesive... Works great... Pretty comfy

Thanks man, I gotta try that

Back