Newb here, few q's!

littleslip

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
:thumbsup:Hello guys, I'm from the UK, found this to be the best forum out there! Loads of great information thanks.

I picked up a 1980 XS650 last week with the plan to street tracker it, just love the look of them! This is my first custom project so looking forward to it.

The bike I bought has cast wheels, discs front and rear. I want to run spoked 19" front and rear wheels and keep the discs. So I'll probably sell my cast wheels to pay for rims.
Am I right in thinking I'm doing to need to do some sort of hub conversion for the back? I'm not keen on using a stock front hub and lacing it up as a rear.

Can anybody offer any advice on what hub and rim combo I could use and which work well with the least adaptation? I've read Harley Sportsters are a good start but there aint many of them over here! I'd prefer something with some cushioning.

I'm also considering a front end conversion to maybe R6 forks or some sort of USD fork set up. Does anybody know of a link to a site showing a how-to guide so I can get an idea of whats needed?

Now for an electrical question! A local(ish) guy who brings in XS's from the USA recommended stripping the wiring out completely and starting afresh. And fitting a PMA kit....
Question is, i want to run lights, indicators, horn etc, while ensuring the bike is getting the best spark possible. What PMA and coil kit/combo can people recommend for my needs?
I'm planning on keeping a battery and running a kick and elec start.

Cheers guys, nice to 'meet' you all

Hi there,
Good to have another UK member!
So, on the wheels, there are difference between the mags and the spoked setup. The search function on here will help you out no end on this and the usd forks. I believe ZXR400 and GSXR forks have been used. On both, a friendly engineering shop will come in handy!

Re the wiring, I strip mine out and start a fresh. The PMA set up does away with the (perceived) problematic charging system on the XS. I have done this conversion on all of mine. You can either buy a kit (usually from the states) or do the DIY banshee conversion. As for ignition systems, there is stock (TCI or points) the Pamco or the Boyer Bransden unit. I am a fan of the Boyer unit and have used many of them, plus from our point of view, they are from the UK and very helpful.

Check out the Tech section and the search forum. Everyone on here is extremely helpful and I find always keen to lend a hand, especially if you describe problems or queries well with pics, it always helps.

Pop some pics up of what you have and what your plans are :)

Ah thanks Paul,
I've searched on the forum but its a bit of info overload! Decided I want 19" front and back spokes but just need advice on a decent rear set up. Are the spoked rims the same width for front and rear?

I'll be buying a PMA kit from the states me thinks, and upgrade to the Boyer system as you've advised.

Thanks mate!

I'm using the whole rear hub / brake assembly from a Suzuki RM250 on my tracker.

R6 forks are common in the flat track scene. Not sure what it will take to bolt them up to the front of a XS.

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25773

If you go that route, let me know. I can give you the part #'s for the hub bearings that fit the 17mm Radian axle.

Hey thanks,

How are you finding the RM250 fit? I'm looking out for a Radian swingarm but theyre rare as rockinghorse shit over here!

Think I'm going to keep the standard forks but stiffen up the springs, and maybe lower them depending on the look of the bike:D

Fits great!

It's actually a slightly shortened Radian swing arm and the shock mounts have been moved up a hair as well. Swing arm angle, total wheelbase, and shock angle are where they should be now. I don't think enough people pay attention to things like that, it really effects how the bike handles. I got lucky and was able to buy the whole set-up from a AHRMA (vintage racing sanctioning body here in the States) road racer as he had them sitting on the shelf.

I'm running standard forks with stiffer springs and fluid. Maybe down the road someday, I'll put some cartridge emulators in them. I slid the forks up into the triple trees a bit. I don't have the exact amount in front of me at the moment.

Cool,
Keep an eye out for another radian swingarm :) don't mind paying the shipping charges lol!

What sort of shock angle, swingarm angle and wheelbase would you recommend?

Cool,
Keep an eye out for another radian swingarm :) don't mind paying the shipping charges lol!

What sort of shock angle, swingarm angle and wheelbase would you recommend?

It depends on weight use, etc.

For the SR, I have it at 55". The 'long track' racers set them up in the 57"-58" range. I'm about 5* of swing arm angle with me on it and about 15* of shock angle. Those are pretty good rules of thumb, anyway.

Dude,
Could you measure up the Radian swing arm for me please?

I'm looking at FZR600 swingarms as they're a bit more available here. Otherwise I could just have one fab'd up!

I was thinking along the lines of 56" wheel base

Hey man,

Sorry I didn't get back in a timely manner. The swing arm is on the bike, but two dimensions that should be of interest as to how it's modified:

pivot center to axle center: 17.75"
shock mount center from rear edge of swing arm: 6"

I can't measure width accurately with the sprocket/rotor being in the way, but that measurement should be online somewhere.

Cheers,
Bob

Dude,
Could you measure up the Radian swing arm for me please?

I'm looking at FZR600 swingarms as they're a bit more available here. Otherwise I could just have one fab'd up!

I was thinking along the lines of 56" wheel base

I have a Radian swingarm sat in my garage, i am going to use it, just doing engine mods first, if you need any more measurements, let me know
If you are considering getting one made to the same spec', then you could borrow it for a while.

Back